Many new TVs, Win8 PCs, mobile and automotive products announced with Imaginationâs IP, including first LG 4K TVs with PowerVR Series6 âRogueâ
January 16, 2013: Imagination Technologies, a leading multimedia and communications technologies company, reports significant growth in penetration in TV and other consumer markets. This was demonstrated by yesterdaysâ announcement regarding Mediatek and a record number of new product announcements from its partners at CES 2013 in Las Vegas..
Imaginationâs SoC partners are at heart of the âsmartâ revolution in consumer electronics, based on two pivotal sets of technologies:
- multimedia which enable smooth UI, rich graphics and high quality video
- connectivity which give devices âliveâ intelligence and features such as location services, content on demand and social networking.
Products from Imaginationâs partners in the consumer market will deliver new industry-leading levels of performance and capabilities to users in 2013, as the âsmartnessâ enabled by Imaginationâs technologies increases its presence in TVs, STBs, tablets and other consumer devices.
Yesterday, Imagination also announced that it has signed a further license agreement with Mediatek for a multi-core member of Imagination's PowerVR SGX Series5XT graphics processor family, to be deployed in SoC devices targeting the digital TV market.
This announcement is the most recent demonstration of the TV and STB SoC industryâs growing commitment to Imaginationâs IP, as Mediatek joins Entropic, Intel, LG, MStar, Realtek, Sigma, SiS and other leading SoC partners not yet announced.
Notable products on show at CES 2013 include:
- LG Cinema 3D Smart TVs, the worldâs first announced TV products with advanced PowerVR Series6 GPUs, as well as PowerVR Series5XT in mid-range products
- Windows 8 Ultrabook PCs and tablets from a range of leading brands including Samsung, Acer and Panasonic Toughpad, based on Intelâs Z2760 âClovertrailâ Atom processor with PowerVR graphics and PowerVR video decode and encode
- Archos 80 and 97 Platinum tablets using the AllWinner A31 processor with PowerVR SGX 544MP GPU
- Low cost, high performance Android tablets from multiple Chinese OEMs featuring Ingenic Semiconductorâs JZ4780 application processor with dual-core MIPS CPU and PowerVR Series5 âSGXâ GPU
- Lenovo K900 smartphone based on Intel Z2580 CloverTrail+ with PowerVR SGX544MP GPU
- Archos âTV connectâ, a low cost Android add-on to any TV with HDMI featuring Full Access Google Play Store, using TIâs OMAP4470 with PowerVR SGX
- Alcatel One Touch Scribe HD mobile phone with MediaTek MT6589
- Garmin's K2 car infotainment platform, based on TIâs new Jacinto 6 platform (based on OMAP5) and PowerVR SGX544MP
- Many other products from brands including Acer, Hampoo, Karbonn Mobile, Lava Mobile, and ZTE
Semiconductor highlights included:
- Mediatekâs latest MT6589 featuring PowerVR Series5XT graphics
- Intel's Atom Z2420 'Lexington' smartphone processor for emerging markets, with PowerVR graphics and video
- SiS330 multi-standard global TV receiver platform with Ensigma UCCP320 RPU (radio processing unit)
- ST-Ericsson NovaThor L8580 LTE smartphone platform featuring a PowerVR SGX544 GPU running at 600MHz, using 28nm FD-SOI
- The new TI OMAP 5-based âJacinto 6â SoC, designed for automotive applications with PowerVR SGX544MPx graphics
A number of undisclosed products from major brands containing Imaginationâs technologies were also shown behind closed doors throughout CES in the TV, mobile, automotive and other consumer markets.
Says Tony King-Smith, VP marketing at Imagination:
"Itâs been another barnstorming year for Imagination at CES 2013, with record numbers of meetings with our many licensee, tools, developer and OEM partners. A growing number of leading edge TV products such as LGâs 4K TVs relying on PowerVR Series6 and Series5/5XT graphics, Win8 PC ultrabooks and tablets featuring PowerVR graphics and video decode/encode, together with ground-breaking automotive products such as Garminâs K2 infotainment system, demonstrated Imaginationâs tremendous progress across all consumer markets as well as mobile."
Imaginationâs next major event will be MWC, where further major product announcements for both SoCs and end products using Imaginationâs IP will be made.
About Imagination Technologies
Imagination Technologies - a global leader in multimedia and communication technologies - creates and licenses market-leading processor solutions for graphics, video, and display, embedded processing, multi-standard communications and connectivity, and cross-platform V.VoIP and VoLTE. These silicon and software intellectual property (IP) solutions for systems-on-chip (SoC) are complemented by an extensive portfolio of software drivers, developer tools and extensive market and technology-focused ecosystems. Target markets include mobile phone and multimedia, connected home consumer, mobile and tablet computing, in-car electronics, telecoms, health, smart energy and connected sensors and controllers. Imaginationâs licensees include many of the worldâs leading semiconductor, network operator and electronics OEM/ODM companies. Corporate headquarters are located in the United Kingdom, with sales and R&D offices worldwide. See: www.imgtec.com