HILLSBORO, OR -- January 24, 2013
-- Lattice Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ: LSCC) today announced financial results for the fiscal fourth quarter ended December 29, 2012.
- Revenue of $65.9 million, a decrease of 7.1% from $70.9 million in 3Q12 and a decrease of 6.1% from $70.2 million in 4Q11.
- Gross margin of 54.2%, compared to 54.4% in 3Q12 and 57.7% in 4Q11.
- Net loss of $0.06 per basic and diluted share, compared to net loss of $0.02 per basic and diluted share in 3Q12 and net income of $0.34 per diluted share in 4Q11. 4Q12 financial results included a $0.4 million ($0.00 per basic and diluted share) income tax expense, $0.8 million of amortization expense from acquired intangibles and $5.4 million of restructuring related charges. 3Q12 financial results included a $1.9 million ($0.02 per basic and diluted share) tax expense, $0.7 million of amortization expense from acquired intangibles and no restructuring related charges.
For the fourth quarter, revenue was $65.9 million, a decrease of 7.1% from $70.9 million reported in the prior quarter, and a decrease of 6.1% from the $70.2 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. FPGA revenue for the fourth quarter was $20.9 million, a decrease from the $26.1 million reported in the prior quarter, and a slight decrease from the $22.1 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. PLD revenue for the fourth quarter was $45.0 million, essentially flat with the $44.8 million reported in the prior quarter, and a decrease from the $48.1 million reported in the same quarter a year ago.
Net loss for the fourth quarter was $7.2 million ($0.06 per basic and diluted share), which includes a tax expense of $0.4 million, amortization expense from acquired intangibles of $0.8 million and restructuring charges of $5.4 million, compared to prior quarter net loss of $2.2 million ($0.02 per basic and diluted share) and net income of $40.9 million ($0.34 per diluted share) reported in the same quarter a year ago. Third quarter of 2012 results included a tax provision of $1.9 million ($0.02 per basic and diluted share) and $0.7 million of amortization expense from acquired intangibles. Fourth quarter of 2011 results included a tax benefit of $35.1 million ($0.29 per diluted share), $0.5 million of acquisition related charges and $1.1 million ($0.01 per diluted share) of restructuring charges.
Darin G. Billerbeck, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, "Results for the fourth quarter of 2012 were in line with our revised guidance and reflect the continued challenging macro environment worldwide. Weakness was broad based across nearly all end markets and geographies except for the consumer market. Based on customer and market forecasts, we expect to see some improvement in the communications and other markets throughout 2013. We continue to gain traction in the consumer and mobile consumer markets led by our iCE products. We have shipped more than 15 million iCE40 devices, making this our fastest ramping product."
Joe Bedewi, Corporate Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, added, "Gross Margin came in at 54.2%, which was at the high end of our original guidance. We continue to drive additional cost reductions in operations and materials purchases, which we believe will continue to deliver benefits as we move through 2013. Operating expenses were approximately $42.1 million, which included $5.4 million in restructuring charges. This is approximately $0.9 million below our original guidance. We expect to see the benefits of our restructuring actions in the first quarter of 2013 and beyond. Finally, during the quarter we repurchased approximately 1.3 million shares at a cost of approximately $5.2 million. During 2012, we repurchased approximately 4.1 million shares at a cost of approximately $17.5 million."
Fourth Quarter 2012 Business Highlights:
- Shipped 15 Millionth iCE FPGA: Shipments of Lattice's iCE FPGA devices, including its flagship ultra-low density iCE40â¢ FPGA family, reached 15 million. This success reflects widespread adoption of the iCE40 devices for use in mobile consumer applications, which represent the overwhelming majority of device shipments.
- Awarded "Digital Semiconductor Product of the Year":Lattice's ultra-low density iCE40â¢ FPGA family was named "Digital Semiconductor Product of the Year" as part of the 2012 Elektra European Electronics Industry Awards, which recognize the achievements of individuals and companies across Europe.
- New Security & Surveillance Solutions Showcased:Lattice demonstrated several new FPGA-based camera designs at the China Security Expo in Beijing' China in the fourth quarter, including several camera solutions developed in conjunction with Lattice partner organizations.
Business Outlook - First Quarter 2013:
- Revenue is expected to decline approximately 2% to 4% on a sequential basis.
- Gross margin percentage is expected to be approximately 54% plus or minus 2%.
- Total operating expenses are expected to be approximately $35.5 million, including approximately $0.5 million in restructuring charges.
Investor Conference Call / Webcast Details:
Lattice Semiconductor will review the Company's financial results for the fourth quarter of 2012 and business outlook for the first quarter of 2013 on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. EST. The conference call-in number is 1-888-286-6281 or 1-706-643-3761 with conference identification number 85626515. A live webcast of the conference call will also be available on Lattice's website at www.latticesemi.com. The Company's financial guidance will be limited to the comments on its public quarterly earnings call and the public business outlook statements contained in this press release.
A replay of the call will be available approximately two hours after the conclusion of the live call through 11:59 p.m. EST on January 31, 2013, by telephone at 1-404-537-3406. To access the replay, use conference identification number 85626515. A webcast replay will also be available on Lattice's investor relations website at www.latticesemi.com.
About Lattice Semiconductor:
Lattice is a service-driven developer of innovative low cost, low power programmable design solutions. For more information about how our FPGA, CPLD and programmable power management devices help our customers unlock their innovation, visit www.latticesemi.com.