FALCâ¢ ON-S single-chip GPON SoC expands Lantiqâs industry-leading GPON product family of highly integrated ONU chips
Munich/Neubiberg, Germany â February 19th, 2013 â Lantiq, a leading supplier of broadband access and home networking technologies, today introduced the FALCâ¢ ON-S, a complete GPON Optical Network Unit (ONU) system-on-chip in a compact 11 x 11 mm package. Thanks to its small size, high integration and unique power saving features, FALC ON-S is a leading edge solution for Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP) modules with fully integrated GPON Optical Network Unit functionality. The chipset enables a simple upgrade to GPON backhauling for a variety of broadband access systems like MDUs and WAN-agnostic gateways.
FALC ON-Sâs small form factor and very low power consumption that exceeds the European Code of Conduct requirements for years 2013 and 2014 also make it an ideal solution for the emerging small cell wireless architectures.
FALC ON-S Highlights and Benefits
- Industryâs first fully standard-compliant GPON SoC with integrated laser driver and limiting amplifier; the integration of key optical components and control circuitry optimizes board space and reduces total systemâs Bill of Material (BOM) cost.
- Package size of 11 x 11 mm enables a complete GPON ONU in a SFP form factor.
- Direct control of on-chip laser driver, including idle mode, significantly reduces power consumption.
- Built-in hardware based Rogue ONU management for reliable isolation of disturbing ONUs and efficient protection of data services.
- Applications supported include:
- Compact MDU cabinets in both pure fiber and mixed fiber/xDSL configurations
- Fiber backhaul of cellular base stations including small cells
- Customer premise equipment (CPE) with SFP socket, providing the flexibility to use one home gateway design to support FTTH, xDSL or other network technologies
Infonetics Research predicts continued rapid growth in the global GPON market. Infonetics analyst Jeff Heynen reports that GPON ONT port shipments totaled about 17.5 million in 2012, up 127% from 2011, and he forecasts GPON ONT ports to further grow to 26.8 million by 2016.
Dirk Wieberneit, Lantiq Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) Business Unit:
âWith continued expansion of fiber networks worldwide and the accelerating transition from EPON to GPON to provide better performance and QoS, broadband access vendors offering equipment with SFP connectivity can easily upgrade to GPON now. The innovations delivered by FALC ON-S enable our customers to maintain technology leadership in the high growth market of FTTx deployments.â
FALC ON-S devices are available now for engineering development. Volume shipments will start in Q2 2013.
To provide further information on GPON technology, market and related semiconductor solutions, Lantiq will set up an Online Press Briefing on Thursday, February 21st, 2013. You can already register via our Online Feedback Form: http://www.mexperts.de/lantiq-21-02-13/.
More Information about our SFP, GPON and Rogue ONU is available on our GPON Landing Page.
Lantiq offers a broad and innovative semiconductor product portfolio for next-generation networks and the digital home. Information about Lantiq is available on our Website