SAN JOSE, Calif., April 25, 2013-- Altera Corporation (NASDAQ: ALTR) today announced first quarter sales of $410.5 million, down 7 percent from the fourth quarter of 2012 and up 7 percent from the first quarter of 2012. First quarter net income was $120.2 million, $0.37 per diluted share, compared with net income of $120.8 million, $0.37 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012 and $115.8 million, $0.35 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2012.
Cash flow from operating activities was $149.5 million. Altera ended the quarter with $3.8 billion in cash and investments.
Altera's board of directors has declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.10 per share, to be paid on June 3, 2013 to stockholders of record on May 10, 2013.
"The quarter's overall sales were roughly as expected and represent the low point in the recent communications equipment and industrial cycles. We expect second quarter growth in these markets," said John Daane, president, chief executive officer, and chairman of the board. "Development work for our next generation products is well under way. Using TSMC's 55 nm EmbFlash and their 20 nm planar technology plus Intel's 14 nm Tri-Gate process, we expect to have an optimized, competitively differentiated set of offerings, with notable performance improvements across all our products. As the only major FPGA company with access to the second-generation Tri-Gate process, we will benefit from much reduced implementation risk, the unique finFET power, performance and density advantages, and process availability long before any comparable alternative."
Several recent accomplishments mark the company's continuing progress:
SELECTED FIRST QUARTER REVENUE AND RELATED RESULTS
- Altera and Intel jointly announced that the companies have entered into an agreement for the future manufacture of certain Altera FPGAs on Intel's 14 nm Tri-Gate transistor technology. Altera is the only major FPGA company with access to this technology, significantly strengthening the company's next-generation competitive position. These 14 nm products target ultra-high-performance systems for military, wireline communications, cloud computing, and computer and storage applications, and will enable breakthrough levels of performance and power efficiencies not otherwise possible. Extending the company's tailored architecture approach, Altera's next- generation products will now utilize this 14 nm technology in addition to previously announced 20 and 55 nm devices supplied by TSMC.
- Altera reached another significant milestone in transceiver technology by demonstrating the industry's first programmable device with 32-Gbps transceiver technology capabilities. The demonstration uses a 20 nm device based on TSMC's 20SoC process technology and is a positive indicator to the more than 500 customers in Altera's early access program who are looking to use Altera devices in the development of performance-demanding, bandwidth-centric applications. Altera has a proven track record in integrating leading-edge transceiver technology into its devices. Altera is the only company today shipping production 28 nm FPGAs with monolithically integrated low-power transceivers operating at 28 Gbps.
- Extending a 20-year relationship that has resulted in repeated semiconductor industry innovations, Altera and TSMC's technology collaboration now extends to Altera's use of TSMC's 55 nm Embedded Flash (EmbFlash) technology. Programmable devices based on TSMC's 55 nm EmbFlash target a wide range of low-power, high-volume applications in a variety of markets, including automotive and industrial. Compared to prior-generation embedded flash technology, TSMC's 55 nm EmbFlash delivers faster computing, increases gate density 10 times and shrinks flash and SRAM cell sizes by 70 and 80 percent respectively.
- Altera has acquired TPACK, previously a wholly-owned subsidiary of Applied Micro Circuits Corporation. With FPGA-based optical transport network (OTN) intellectual property targeting packet and optical networking equipment suppliers, TPACK enables Altera to accelerate and expand its OTN solutions road map. TPACK OTN solutions are available today as SoftSilicon® products, built on Altera FPGAs and in production for many years. TPACK's engineers will make Altera more responsive to the OTN industry's evolution beyond 100G by delivering flexible solutions not possible in fixed-function ASSPs.
| Key New Product Devices || Sequential Comparisons|
| Stratix V || 35 %|
| Stratix IV || (23) %|
| Arria II || 24 %|
| Arria V || 30 %|
| Cyclone IV || 0 %|
| Cyclone V || 318 %|
| HardCopy IV || 59 %|
| ($ in thousands) |
Key Ratios & Information
| March 29, 2013 || December 31, 2012|
| Current Ratio ||7:1 || 7:1|
| Liabilities/Equity || 1:3 || 1:3|
| Quarterly Operating Cash Flows ||$ 149,478 || $ 126,709|
| TTM Return on Equity || 17% || 18%|
| Quarterly Depreciation Expense ||$ 10,175 || $ 9,170|
| Quarterly Capital Expenditures || $ 5,984 || $ 7,201|
| Inventory MSOH (1): Altera || 3.3 || 3.4|
| Inventory MSOH (1): Distribution || 0.6 || 0.6|
| Cash Conversion Cycle (Days) || 117 || 117|
| Turns || 43% || 40%|
| Book to Bill || <1.0 || <1.0|
Note (1): MSOH: Months Supply On Hand
NET SALES SUMMARY
Product Category Description
- New Products include the Stratix® V, Stratix IV, Arria® V, Arria II, Cyclone® V, Cyclone IV, MAX® V and HardCopy® IV devices.
- Mainstream Products include the Stratix III, Cyclone III, MAX II and HardCopy III devices.
- Mature and Other Products include the Stratix II, Stratix, Arria GX, Cyclone II, Cyclone, Classic, MAX 3000A, MAX 7000, MAX 7000A, MAX 7000B, MAX 7000S, MAX 9000, HardCopy II, HardCopy, FLEX® series, APEX series, Mercury, Excalibur devices, configuration and other devices, intellectual property cores, and software and other tools.
Business Outlook for the Second Quarter 2013
Sales and Income Statement
| Sequential Sales || Flat to up 4%|
| Gross Margin || 69% +/- .5% |
| Research and Development || $97 to 99 million|
| SG&A || $77 to 79 million|
| Tax Rate || 12% to 13%|
| Diluted Share Count || Approximately 324 million|
| Turns || High 40's|
| MSOH || Mid 3's|
| Telecom & Wireless || Up|
| Industrial Automation, Military & Automotive || Up|
| Networking, Computer & Storage || Down|
| Other || Flat|
First Quarter Earnings Conference Call
A conference call will be held today at 1:45 p.m. Pacific time to discuss the quarter's results and management's current business outlook. The web cast and subsequent replay will be available in the Investor Relations section of the company's website at www.altera.com. A telephonic replay of the call may be accessed later in the day by calling (719) 457-0820 and referencing confirmation code 258712. The telephonic replay will be available for two weeks following the live call.
Altera programmable solutions enable system and semiconductor companies to rapidly and cost-effectively innovate, differentiate and win in their markets. Find out more about Altera's FPGA, CPLD and ASIC devices at www.altera.com.