Featured Japan's First High Bit Depths (12-bit/10-bit) and Lossless Processing Function
October 11, 2013 -- Shikino High-Tech Co., Ltd. ("Shikino") today announced that it has launched a new high-speed JPEG codec IP , "KJN-7EX_LSC", and commences sales today. As a new product from the "KJN series" with the world's top share in the still image compression/decompression technology, "KJN-7EX_LSC" equips with high bit depths (12-bit/10-bit) to obtain ultra-high definition images and the lossless processing function to provide outstanding images without the image quality deterioration due to the image compression/decompression. The product is most suitable for the medical/broadcasting/aerospace fields and so forth.
Obtain ultra-high definition images by high bit depths
In addition to the existing 8-bit depth in JPEG, the first high bit depths (12-bit/10-bit) mounted in Japan attains high image quality. This product is most suitable for the medical/broadcasting/aerospace/industrial camera fields requiring color reproducibility and high gradation.
Achieve outstanding images without the image quality deterioration by the image compression/decompression technology
The lossless processing function makes it possible to achieve outstanding images without the image quality deterioration when compressing them. This KJN-7EX_LSC technology is optimally applied to highly advanced medical equipments, image processing inspection devices and aviation/aerospace equipments that have required customers to use the uncompressed and large-volume RAW images to prevent the image quality deterioration.
Attain 60 consecutive 4K2K still images per second using the lossless processing function
The lossless processing function provides users with the 8X (8 Data/clock) processing speed (data rate). This is optimal for consumer devices requiring high-speed consecutive shooting (e.g., DSC, DSC-SLR, Smartphones, 8K4K displays and so forth).
The product is anticipated to meet the market demands for medical equipments, image inspection devices, high-definition image devices, consumer devices and so on. Also, Shikino has developed and released "KJN-7EX" for the 12-bit/10-bit/8-bit JPEG processing that gives customers options to choose their most suitable lineups to satisfy their requests.
* Gradation: A unit expressing color and brightness
Number of colors: Cubed gradation numbers in the RGB color model
8 bit: 256 gradations per color/16.77 million colors (8 bit applied to PC)
10 bit: 1024 gradations per color/1.07 billion colors
12 bit: 4096 gradations per color/68.71 billion colors
About JPEG Extended DCT-based process /JPEG Lossless process
The 12-bit JPEG (Extended DCT-based process) employed in "KJN-7EX_LSC" is an international standard to extend general 8-bit JPEG to 12 bit in the ITU-T Recommendation T.81 and ISO/IEC International Standard 10918-1. As for the lossless process, it complies with the lossless compression of Annex H following the same standard.
Features of "KJN-7EX_LSC", a still image codec IP for the lossless/lossy process
- Support 8, 10 and 12-bit depth for both Lossless and Lossy formats.
- Enable 1600M Sample/sec (200 MHz) processing.
- Obtain high-speed, small-scale and power-thrifty processing by ShikinoÂ¡Â¦s original algorithms.
- Achieve high compression performance by using our original Huffman table for 12-bit/10-bit JPEG.
- CPU bus : 32 bit
- Image data bus : 96 bit
- Code data bus : 64/96/128 bit
- Quantization table : 4 tables(RAM)
- Huffman table : 4 tables for DC and AC respectively (RAM) (Huffman tabl)
- Color format : YUV444, YUV422, YUV420, YUV411, Gray-Scale and CMYK
- Lossless mode
- For compression: 4 programmable tables in DC
- For decompression: 4 tables in the stream in DC
- Lossy mode
- For compression: 2 original fixed tables (12-bit/10-bit) and 2 standard fixed tables (8-bit) in DC and AC respectively
- For decompression: 4 tables in the stream in DC and AC respectively