SAN JOSE, Calif., July 16, 2014.The EDA Consortium (EDAC) Market Statistics Service (MSS) today announced that the Electronic Design Automation (EDA) industry revenue increased 4.6 percent for Q1 2014 to $1746.1 million, compared to $1668.5 million in Q1 2013. Sequential EDA revenue for Q1 2014 decreased 7.1 percent compared to Q4 2013, while the four-quarters moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, increased by 5.2 percent.
"All regions except Japan enjoyed solid growth in the first quarter of 2014 with Pac Rim averaging over 14% growth on a rolling four--]quarter basis,h said Walden C. Rhines, board sponsor for the EDAC MSS and chairman and CEO of Mentor Graphics. gIn particular, CAE and PCB showed positive growth for the quarter."
Companies that were tracked employed 30,440 professionals in Q1 2014, an increase of 3.7 percent compared to the 29,360 people employed in Q1 2013, and up 1.9 percent compared to Q4, 2013.
The complete, quarterly MSS report, containing detailed revenue information broken out by both categories and geographic regions, is available to members of the EDA Consortium. .
Revenue by Product Category
- The largest category, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of $638.6 million in Q1 2014, which represents a 6.6 percent increase compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average for CAE increased 2.8 percent.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue decreased to $331.9 million in Q1 2014, a 2.4 percent decrease compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 7.4 percent.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue of $159.7 million for Q1 2014 represents an increase of 1.6 percent compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average for PCB & MCM increased 5.4 percent.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $518.1 million in Q1 2014, a 10.2 percent increase compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 7.4 percent.
- Services revenue was $97.7 million in Q1 2014, a decrease of 4.1 percent compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 3.1 percent.
Revenue by Region
- The Americas, EDA's largest region, purchased $760.7 million of EDA products and services in Q1 2014, an increase of 7.1 percent compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average for the Americas increased 5.8 percent.
- Revenue in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) was up 7.4 percent in Q1 2014 compared to Q1 2013 on revenues of $296.8 million. The EMEA four-quarters moving average increased 4.9 percent.
- First quarter 2014 revenue from Japan decreased 19.3 percent to $209.7 million compared to Q1 2013. The four-quarters moving average for Japan decreased 10.2 percent.
- The Asia/Pacific (APAC) region revenue increased to $478.9 million in Q1 2014, an increase of 13.5 percent compared to the first quarter of 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 14.4 percent.
About the MSS Report
The EDA Consortium Market Statistics Service reports EDA industry revenue data quarterly and is available to EDAC members. Both public and private companies contribute data to the report. Each quarterly report is published approximately three months after quarter close. MSS report data is segmented as follows: revenue type (product licenses and maintenance, services, and SIP), application (CAE, PCB/MCM Layout, and IC Physical Design & Verification), and region (the Americas, Europe Middle East and Africa, Japan, and Asia Pacific), with many subcategories of detail provided. The report also tracks total employment of the reporting companies.
About the EDA Consortium
The EDA Consortium is the international association of companies that provide design tools and services that enable engineers to create the worldfs electronic products used for communications, computer, space technology, medical, automotive, industrial equipment, and consumer electronics markets among others. For more information about the EDA Consortium, visit www.edac.org, or to subscribe to the Market Statistics Service, call 408-287-3322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.