The cineramIC 4K-3D Video Decoder is capable of decoding video streams up to 4K-3D and 16 HD streams. It is one of the highest performing synthesizable cores on the market, capable of decoding multiple video streams in different standards, and its unique, scalable design achieves high performance levels at very low clock rates (e. g. one 720p30fps stream at 33 MHz or one 8Kx4Kp@30fps, one 3D 4Kx2Kp@60fps or eight 1080p@60fps streams at only 300MHz).
The cineramIC 4K-3D Video Decoder supports H.264, MPEG-1/2 and VC-1 video standards including H.264 MVC (Multi-view Video Coding) for three-dimensional (3D) imaging and high resolution JPEG still picture applications. Automatic multi-stream video decoding is supported for up to 16 streams without additional software interaction. Driver software performs set up and general control of tasks requiring fewer than 2 MIPS.
The IP core reads the input stream from a buffer located in the system memory (SDRAM) and generates decoded video in YCbCr 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 (JPEG) formats. The output pictures are stored in the decoded picture buffer area within the system memory.
Optimized for high-performance 3D video decoding applications, the cineramIC 4K-3D Video Decoder is based on an architecture that implements pipelining and parallelism on different levels with a combination of software and hardware components. The hardware is composed of three main blocks, the Stream Interpreter, the Multi-pipeline Scheduler and the scalable Multi-Standard Video Decoding Engine. In order to achieve maximum performance, all blocks work in parallel.
The cineramIC 4K-3D Video Decoder IP core can satisfy a wide range of applications and technologies-achieving optimal performance at low cost and low power consumption. Its interfaces can be easily integrated into system-on-chip (SoC) designs and the scalable design allows system developers to optimize the SoC based on their specific application requirements.
- ITU-T H.264 incl. Annex H, MVC, ISO/IEC 14496-10 (Main and High Profile, exceeds Level 5.1 in resolution)
- SMPTE 421M VC-1 (exceeds Simple, Main and Advanced Profile @ Level 4)
- ISO/IEC 11172-2 MPEG-1
- ISO/IEC 13818-2 MPEG-2 (exceeds Main Profile @ High Level)
- Supports 3D video
- Supports up to 8192 x 4320 pixel resolutions (8Kx4K)
- Supports Exif JPEG up to 16Kx8K picture size
- Supports all DVTB, ATSC, HDTV, DVD, VCD resolutions (e.g. 1080p, 080i, 720p, D1)
- Hardware supported context switching between video streams (configurable up to 16 streams)
- Error detection and concealment
- Trick mode support
- Processing of ES and PES streams, extraction and provision of time stamps
- Memory system can run with different clocks; clock domain crossing is part of the IP core
- Complete Allegro and Fraunhofer H.264 certification test suite proven
- 64-bit ports to memory system, OCP 2.0 and AMBA AXI compliant
- Runs on TSMC 65G @ 350MHz and 40nmLP technologies
- Excellent silicon area and power efficiency
- Driver software with easy to use API incorporates multi-stream / multi-standard control
- C source code, portable to any CPU
- Architecture is scalable from single stream 720p @ 30 fps (33MHz, one pipe) up to 8Kx4K @ 30 fps (300MHz, four pipes) for optimal performance / size and power trade offs
- Single-stream decode up to 3D 4Kx2Kp @ 60 fps at 300MHz core clock frequency
- Single-stream decode up to 8Kx4Kp @ 30 fps at 300MHz core clock frequency
- Dual-stream decode up to 4Kx2Kp @ 60 fps at 300MHz core clock frequency
- Time multiplexed multi-stream decoding up to 16 streams, example combinations are:
- Eight HD video streams H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1
- Six H.264 HD streams and eight MPEG-2 SD streams
- Exif JPEG decoding ~1 Mpixel/MHz, e.g. 8 Mpixel @ 38 fps or 32 Mpixel @ 9 fps at 300MHz core clock frequency
- Hardwired, autonomously running decoding pipeline, up to eight samples per clock throughput
- Verilog RTL code with synthesis scripts
- Extensive verification environment
- Reference software
- Detailed user manuals for hardware and software
- Professional Video
Block Diagram of the 4K-3D & Multi-Channel HD Video Decoder IP Core (H.264, MPEG-1/2, VC-1, JPEG)