The CC5512BK-A-T90LP, a component of the “Power-ON SoC” family of IP-cores from Cosmic Circuits, is a buck switching converter that converts input power-supply voltage of 2.7-5.5V to a programmable output voltage of 0.8V to 1.4V. The module requires an reference input of 1.22V. The efficiency of the DC-DC converter is optimized for light-load steady-state situations typical of handheld battery powered applications. The efficiency at medium load condition of 200mA is 90%. Inbuilt soft-start implementation prevents high-inrush current on power-on. A current limit of 1500mA provides protection from fault conditions. A power-down feature allows for a shut-off state with very low leakage.
- 1.2V Buck conversion from Li-Ion battery
- Input power-supply from 2.7V to 5.5V
- Programmable output voltage from 0.8V to 1.4V in steps of 20mV
- Maximum output current of 800mA
- High efficiency >90% at high output current of 200mA
- PFM mode to maximize the efficiency at low load current
- Switching frequency of 1-1.5MHz
- In-built soft-start, under voltage and current limit flagging mechanism
- TSMC 90nm 6LM, 3.3V IO MOS process
- The buck converter uses a unique topology to maximize efficiency for a wide range of output current loads. At low-currents, the converter switches into a PFM mode in order to achieve high efficiency. The buck converter makes use of the process technology capabilities to operate at a high 1.5MHz switching frequency, thereby limiting the values of the inductors to a low 4.7uH. By operating directly from the Li-Ion battery or USB Power, need for any additional on-board PWM converter is eliminated, resulting in low system BOM costs. Additionally, a current limit feature and a soft-start enable straightforward integration into an SoC.