The Generic Interrupt Controller (GIC) is a high-performance, area–optimized PrimeCell peripheral supporting the ARM Generic Interrupt Controller architecture. Highly configurable and programmable, the GIC is suitable for single and multi-processor systems, presenting a common Programmer’s Model accessible via AMBA® 3 AXI™ or AMBA AHB-Lite™ interfaces. It also provides a natural migration path for PL190/PL192 users.
- Highly configurable - designed to satisfy user requirements in a variety of system applications.
- An interrupt type for every situation:
- Software-generated Interrupts (SGIs)
- Private Peripheral Interrupts (PPIs)
- Shared Peripheral Interrupts (SPIs)
- Rich and flexible inter-processor communication through multiple SGI broadcasting modes
- Advanced status tracking for interrupts through assertion, acknowledgement and ending
- Masking and prioritization of interrupts even at CPU-specific level in multiprocessor environments
- Interrupt pre-emption support
- Intelligent management of interrupt security for systems with TrustZone® technology support.