The CC55055BC-T130G, a component of the “Power-on-SoC” family of IPs from Cosmic Circuits, is a high-accuracy, linear battery charger for single-cell Li-Ion chemistries, intended for integration into 130nm 1P6M CMOS technology System-On-Chips. The battery charger uses an on-chip, highaccuracy reference to achieve <1% accuracy on the final battery voltage. The charger is designed to operate either from the AC adapter or from the USB port. The battery charger integrates the passtransistor for charging, as well as all the controlling functions necessary for proper monitoring and hand-off between various charging modes. The charging current in different charging cycles is programmed digitally; in a similar fashion, the desired temperature limits can also be programmed digitally. The end-of-charge can either be based on the charging current or on a timer. In either case, the end of charge criterion is digitally programmable. The current consumption in the standby mode is extremely low (< 10μA).
- Complete battery charger unit for SoC Integration
- No external components required - has Integrated Power FET; no external sense resistor required.
- Supports an input power of up to 5.5V
- Charge from USB/AC Adapter
- Handles both 100mA and 500mA USB current limits.
- Continuous over-current protection with digitally programmable limits
- Continuous thermal protection with digitally programmable limits
- Charger current digitally programmable from 10mA to 550mA
- End-Of-Charge indication digitally programmable - can be timer or chargecurrent based
- ±1% Accuracy on final voltage - Integrated High-Precision Reference
- Low Standby Current (< 10μA)
- CMOS 0.13um 1P6M
- The regular battery-charger IC, typically an expensive on-board component, can now be integrated onto the SoC, thanks to the CC55055BC. This saves system cost, board-space, and increases the value of the SoC itself. Additionally, the interface to the charger is simplified, while providing several
- programmable options. The charger can operate from two input power-sources – USB and dc-power from mains-adapter. Since the power-mux is built internally, no additional power-muxing is required off-chip. In fact, the charger does not need any external components for its operation, other than the battery itself and
- the power-supply capacitors. An internal high-precision voltage reference ensures voltage and current accuracy, thereby ensuring an optimum battery life. Built-in temperature sense circuits maintain the junction temperature of the SoC within
- limits. The charge-current, charge-voltage, temperature limits, over-current limit, and End-Of-Charge indication are all programmable digitally, thereby offering significant flexibility. Since the charger is designed in a digital CMOS process, it allows for easy integration into an SOC.