The Xilinx 256QAM Millimeter Wave Modem IP is a good fit for small cell backhaul applications where power consumption, data throughput capability and solution size are determining the design choices.
The modem IP can operate both in point to point and point to multipoint modes, and is suitable for 60GHz as well as 80GHz millimeter wave applications. It has configurable channel bandwidth support ranging from 20MHz to 250MHz with optionally up to 500MHz. In 250MHz channel bandwidth and FDD mode, the maximum net data rate is 1.6Gbps and the size of the IP modem solution with LDPC FEC is around 75kLUTs.
All integrated versions of the modem are supported by the Zynq®-7000 SoC platform and Kintex® FPGAs, including the Kintex UltraScale™ family of devices. The modem incorporates all PHY layer features including QPSK-256QAM modulation, 20-250 MHz bandwidth support with optionally up to 500MHz, adaptive modulation, adaptive DPD, FEC, I/Q imbalance correction, automatic frequency recovery, and a hybrid decision-directed equalizer. For payload interfaces, both Xilinx 1GbE and 10GbE interfaces can be used or a CPRI interface for wireless fronthauling.
- TDD or FDD, supported in the same core
- Interface: I/Q baseband or IF
- Modulation: QPSK to 256QAM
- Symbol rate: software configurable up to 223 Msym/s with sub-MHz precision
- JESD204B interface support
- FCC and ETSI channels are available and tested for spectral mask compliance
- Payload interfaces: 1GbE or 10GbE, CPRI
- Bandwidth: software configurable 20 to 250MHz (500MHz optionally)
- Automatic correction of Tx and Rx IQ impairments in DSP
- Rx delay equalizer
- Adaptive Modulation with software defined profile
- Closed loop adaptive Digital Pre-Distortion
- Reed-Solomon FEC or LDPC FEC with configurable coderate
- Convolutional interleaver with configurable depth
- Decision Directed Equalizer
- DPLL module for synchronizing payload clock over link for SyncE and SDH/TDM
- Analogue AGC control
- ATPC closed loop support in hardware
Block Diagram of the Millimeter Wave Modem