Tensilica's Xtensa 8 DPU (dataplane processing unit) is a small, ultra-low-power controller built on Tensilica's unique Xtensa technology. It can easily be extended to out-perform any other embedded processor for a specific application using a combination of configurable options and custom instructions.
By embedding functionality right into the processor datapath itself, designers can use the Xtensa 8 DPU to not only perform control functions, but also some of the finite state machine tasks that manage RTL blocks and some of the RTL functionality as well. This makes for a smaller, more efficient chip design, and it significantly reduces the verification challenges associated with new RTL designs.
- Highly efficient, small, ultra- low-power core with a 32-bit modern architecture and 5-stage pipeline
- Wide range of configurable options
- Local memories configurable up to 4MB with option for parity or ECC
- Extend with application-specific instructions, execution units and register files
- Use XPRES Compiler to automate customization for your C/C++ application code
- 32-bit wire input and 32-bit wire output GPIO port option for peripheral control and monitoring
- 2x32-bit queue FIFO interface option for data streaming directly to RTl or other Xtensa processors
- Optional floating point unit plus double-precision floating point acceleration
- Wide range of operating system support including Linux
- A complete software tool chain is automatically generated for each core
- Extremely efficient base architecture that is smaller, lower power, and has better code density than most other 32-bit embedded controllers
- Application-specific instruction extensions provide orders of magnitude performance improvements over traditional CPUs, in many cases eliminating the need to develop RTL blocks
- Lower verification effort with pre-verified, correct-by-construction, RTL generation
- Post-silicon programmability to extend the life of any design
- Highly accurate, high-speed system simulation models automatically created for software development.
- Develop, simulate, debug and profile in one IDE