Beyond VGA Display Controller core provides VGA capabilities for embedded systems. It supports both CRT and LCD displays with user programmable resolutions and video timings, thus providing compatibility with almost all available LCD and CRT displays.
The core supports a number of color modes, including 32bpp, 24bpp, 16bpp, 8bpp grayscale, and 8bpp-pseudo color. The video memory is located outside the primary core, thus providing the most flexible memory solution possible. It can be located on-chip or off-chip, shared with the system’s main memory (VGA on demand) or be dedicated to the VGA system. Image data is fetched automatically via the WISHBONE Master interface, making this an ideal “program-and-forget” video solution. More demanding video applications, like streaming video or video games, can benefit from the video-bank-switching function. Flicker and cluttered images are reduced by automatically switching between video-memory pages and/or color lookup tables on each vertical retrace.
The horizontal, vertical, and composite synchronization polarization levels, as well as the blanking polarization level are programmable by software.
- Horizontal and verical image scaling by integer factors
- CRT and LCD display support
- Separate VSYNC/HSYNC and composite CSYNC synchronization signals
- Composite BLANK signal
- User programmable video timing
- User programmable video resolutions
- User programmable video control signals polariy
- 32bpp, 24bpp and 16bpp color modes
- 8bpp grayscale and 8bpp pseudo-color modes
- Supports video bank switching during vertical retrace
- 32bit WISHBONE RevB.3 compliant Slave and Master interfaces
- Operation from a wide range of input clock frequencies
- Static synchronous design
- Full synthesizability
- Soft core RTL in Verilog
- Test bench in Verilog
- Programming interface document
- Engineering support