The CANFD-RxTx is a high-speed CAN transceiver daughter card supporting the bit rates required for CAN Flexible Data Rate (CAN FD). It serves as an interface card between the physical CAN bus and a CAN protocol controller.
The card has de facto standard DB-9 nine-pin D-subminiature connectors towards the CAN bus, and is fully compatible with the physical layer requirements of the ISO 18998-2 and 1898-5 standards.
The card uses the Microchip® MCP2562FD Transceiver, a second-generation high-speed transceiver that meets the automotive requirements for CAN FD bit rates exceeding 5 Mbps, low quiescent current, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), and electrostatic discharge (ESD). It guarantees Loop Delay Symmetry for bit rates up to 5 Mbps, and features low propagation delay to support long bus lengths.
The CANFD-RxTx interfaces to a CAN-compliant protocol controller via a 2x20 female pin connector, which is commonly found in FPGA and microcontroller boards. The connector provides separate power supply pins for the transceiver and the digital I/O, allowing the interface towards the CAN controller to operate with voltages ranging from 1.8V to 5.5.V.
As part of CAST’s CANFD-RD CAN 2.0 and CAN FD FPGA reference design, the daughter card has been successfully tested in CAN FD Plug Fests, organized by CAN In Automation (CIA). During these Plug Fest events, the daughter card was connected to real-life networks, and driven by CAST’s CAN-CTRL CAN 2.0 and CAN FD Controller IP core. It successfully operated with bit rates in excess of 5Mbps.
With over 10 years of experience in CAN bus technology, CAST offers IP cores, reference designs and services allowing its customers to rapidly implement CAN nodes on FPGAs or ASICs. Please contact CAST to discuss your project requirements (firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 201.391.8300).
- CAN Bus Interface
- Uses Microchip’s MCP2562FD CAN FD Transceiver
- Implements ISO 11898-2 and ISO 11898-5 Standard Physical Layer Requirements
- Provides de facto standard DB-9/CANON-9 nine-pin connectors for easy connection to the CAN FD bus
- CAN Protocol Controller Interface
- 1.8V to 5.5V digital I/O CAN protocol controller interface
- 2x20 pin connector compatible with a wide range of FPGA and MCU boards
- Plug Fest Tested
- Extensively tested in two CAN FD Plug Fests organized by CAN In Automation (CIA)
- Successfully operated in excess of 5 Mbps in a real-life automotive CAN network
Block Diagram of the High-Speed CAN FD Transceiver Daughter Card