The RivieraWaves Wi-Fi IP family offers a comprehensive suite of IPs and platforms for embedding Wi-Fi connectivity into SoCs/ASSPs addressing a broad range of applications.
This RW-AX 802.11ax IP is part of the RivieraWaves Wi-Fi Low Power category, targeted at IoT peripherals, including wearables, medical devices, wireless audio and other use cases where power and cost are critical factors. This is the industry’s smallest footprint and lowest power Wi-Fi IP compliant with 802.11ax 1x1 20MHz STA.
The CEVA RW-AX Low Power IP consists of 802.11ax MAC and modem cores, restricted to 1x1 SISO with 20MHz bandwidth configuration, supporting STA and Soft AP modes. The MAC is controlled by a LMAC+UMAC (aka FullMAC) software protocol stack. The IP is provided with an integration-ready processor and operating-system- agnostic platform, simplifying deployment in SoC/ASSP designs. The Wi-Fi software protocol stack can be executed on any processor such as ARM, ARC, Andes, Cortus, RISC-V and others.
The RW-AX platform can be used in a standalone single processor chip or integrated into a bigger microcontroller with an application processor.
For more comprehensive solution, the RW-AX IP is well complemented with CEVA-DSP such as the CEVA TeakLite 4 or CEVA-X2, to execute audio processing or other always on sensor hub.
Silicon independent, the RW-AX Low Power IP supports several radio IPs from various partners such as Catena. Other RF can be easily supported on customer demand.
- 802.11ax MAC:
- The RW-AX Low Power MAC core implements the 802.11a/b/g/n/ax standards supporting data rates of up to 114Mbps. It also supports the 802.11e standard (QoS) and the 802.11i standard (Security) extensions.
- RivieraWaves' profound expertise in wireless communications resulted in the highly optimized MAC core with special focus on low memory and MIPS requirements while maintaining a small gate count. The MAC core interfaces to the ARM standard AMBA bus.
- 802.11ax Modem:
- The RW-AX Low Power hardwired modem core is optimized for use with the RW-AX MAC IP to form a low power and cost effective 802.11ax 20MHz STA solution. The supported features are:
- Modulation Coding Schemes (MCS) from 0 to 9
- 20MHz bandwidth
- Full implementation of OFDM & OFDMA processing up to the radio interface:
- FEC coding, Viterbi & LDPC encoding/decoding
- Timing, phase and frequency synchronization
- Channel estimation & compensation
- Reference digital front end with filtering, radio controller and software defined AGC/CCA state machine for highest flexibility
- low MIPS requirement
- high performance
- hardware: verilog RTL, testbench, compilation, simulation and synthesis scripts
- software: C
- test tool running on Windows
- Power sensitive IoT applications such as wearable, smartwatch, digital camera, smart home & industrial wireless sensors, entry market smart phones and tablets.