MIPS Technologies Reports Fiscal Third Quarter 2006 Financial Results
Highest Revenue in Five Years; Licenses and Royalties Increase Sequentially
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. April 20, 2006 - MIPS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MIPS), today reported financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2006. Revenue was $17.5 million, an increase of 7 percent over second quarter revenues of $16.4 million, and an increase of 4 percent from the $16.8 million in revenue reported in the third fiscal quarter a year ago.
Royalties were $9.3 million, an increase of 5 percent over the $8.9 million reported in the second quarter and an increase of 8 percent from the $8.6 million reported in the third quarter of 2005. Contract revenue was $8.2 million, an increase of 10 percent over the $7.4 million in the second quarter and basically flat with the $8.2 million reported in the third quarter a year ago.
Net income in the third quarter of fiscal 2006 on a generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) basis was $2.2 million, compared with net income of $2.4 million in the second quarter and $4.0 million in the third quarter of 2005. GAAP net income per share on a diluted basis in the third quarter of fiscal 2006 was $0.05, compared with GAAP net income per share of $0.05 in the second quarter and $0.09 in the third quarter of 2005.
Beginning in the September 2005 quarter, the company recognized equity-based compensation expense pursuant to the fair value method under SFAS 123R. This expense in the third quarter was $1.8 million. Non-GAAP net income in the third quarter of fiscal 2006, which excludes the effect of the stock option expense, was $4.7 million or $0.10 per diluted share, a five-year high, compared with non-GAAP net income of $4.2 million or $0.10 per share in the second quarter and net income of $4.0 million or $0.09 per share in the third quarter of 2005. A reconciliation of non-GAAP adjustments is summarized in the tables below.
"Revenues climbed to a five-year high, although they were slightly below our guidance," said John Bourgoin, president and CEO. "Licensing revenues were driven by our flagship products, as our cost-performance leadership is having increasing impact, especially in the digital television and DVD markets. Particularly noteworthy was a new agreement with ESS Technology, a global leader in DVD and Digital Video chip design."
MIPS Technologies invites you to listen to management's discussion of Q3 fiscal 2006 results and guidance for Q4 fiscal 2006 in a live conference call today beginning at 1:45 p.m. Pacific time. The conference call number is 1-719-457-2731 and the replay number is 1-719-457-0820, which will be available for 5 days, beginning shortly after the end of the conference call. The access code is 1443041. An audio replay of the conference call will be posted on the company's website (www.mips.com/content/Corporate/InvestorRelations/ir) soon thereafter.
Q3 FY2006 News Highlights:
From its inception over 20 years ago, the MIPS® architecture has represented innovation and performance. Today, MIPS Technologies and its licensees continue to lead in system-performance and innovative solutions for established and emerging markets. With multiple design teams actively developing the architecture, hundreds of successful implementations throughout the world, and a vibrant ecosystem of third-party tools and software-MIPS continues to be at the core of the user experience.
Following are selected press release headlines from MIPS Technologies, and the company's licensees, systems vendors and third party providers.
- MIPS-Based Toshiba 64-bit RISC-based SoC with integrated graphics controller reduces component count and cost for next-generation graphics automotive displays
Advanced DVD Player & Recorder News
- Consumers on the Go Enjoy Hours of Fresh, DVD-Quality Video Content on Personal Media Players Powered By MIPS-Based AMD Technology
- Zoran Integrates PVR and Set Top Box Functions Into DVD Recorder Chip Set; Hard Disk Drive and Digital Video Broadcast Support Added to MIPS-Based Activa DVD Recorder Solutions
- MIPS Technologies Appoints Shanghai-based SinoSys Technologies as the first MIPS Authorized Training Center in China
- MIPS Technologies Names Kate Rundle Vice President, General Counsel
- MIPS Technologies Names Mervin S. Kato as Chief Financial Officer
Data Communications and Networking News
- ZTE Selects Cavium Networks OCTEON MIPS64® Multi-core Processor as Platform Processor for Multiple Next Generation Wireless Systems
- Vernier Selects Cavium OCTEON Multi-core MIPS64® NSP as Platform Processor to Enable Rich Network Access Management with High Performance and Rapid Feature Evolution
- SiNett's MIPS-Based OneEdge Switch Processor Named As Finalist of EDN Magazine's 16th Annual Innovation of the Year Awards
- Enea's OSE Real-Time OS to Be Available for Cavium's MIPS64®-based OCTEON Family of Multi-Core Processors
- Cavium Networks Launches Industry's Broadest Line of Single and Dual Core MIPS64®-based OCTEON Processors Targeting Intelligent Next Generation Networks
- D2 Technologies to Offer VoIP Support for Cavium Networks New Single and Dual Core OCTEON MIPS64® Based Processor Family
- Intoto Announces Support for Cavium Networks' New OCTEON CN31XX and CN30XX Family of Single and Dual Core MIPS64®-based Processors
- 6WIND Announces Support for Cavium Networks Octeon Multi-Core MIPS64® Based Processors
Digital Camera News
- Zoran Announces MIPS-Based Digital Camera Processor with Integrated Image Stabilization Technology and Single Lens Reflex Quality
- First Silicon Solutions (FS2) Announces Support for Novas Siloti Visibility Enhancement Product
- LinuxLink by TimeSys Gains Traction in Embedded Linux Market
- Virage Logic Joins With Magma Design Automation and MIPS Technologies for Low-Power Design Solutions Webinar
- TimeSys Introduces LinuxLink Subscriptions for the MIPS32 24KE
HDTV & DTV News
- Philips Enables High Definition LCD TVs for the Mass Consumer Market; The Nexperia TV520 Family of Hybrid SemiconductorReference Designs Utilizes MIPS-Based Nexperia Home PNX853X media processor
- Trident Announces MIPS-Based New-Generation HiDTV Pro Family to Bring Uncompromising Video Quality to HDTV
Media Server and Gateway News
- Entropic Communications Achieves 500,000 MIPS-Based c.LINK Chipset Shipment Milestone
- Oki Electric Selects Entropic Communications' MIPS-Based c.LINK for Distribution of Entertainment in New Broadband Home Gateway
- Broadcom Introduces a MIPS-Based Advanced Dual-Channel AVC/VC-1/MPEG-2 Video Decoder Chip for High-Performance Digital Media Centers
- Micronas/WISchip and Digital 5 Partner on Digital Media Server; Will Utilize MIPS-Based Cypher 7108 CPU
- ViXS Systems Showcases Sony Products Utilizing MIPS-Based ViXS' Xcode Video Processor at CES 2006
- ViXS Systems Demonstrates Video From any Source, to any Display Device at CES 2006; Demonstrations Include Products Utililzing MIPS-Based XCode CPU
Newly Announced Licenses
- Mobileye Licenses MIPS Technologies' Multi-threading MIPS32® 34Kf Core for Next-Generation Driver Assistance SoC
Portable Media Player and Game Console News
- HUMAX USA Poised to Manufacture and Sell New MIPS-Based Portable Media Player Platform to Content Providers
- MIPS Technologies' Announces Availability of 850MHz MIPS32® 24KE Processor Core Family
- Express Logic's New ThreadX/MT Delivers Higher Performance and Lower Power for the MIPS32® 34K Multi-threaded Processor Cores
- New Multi-threading Solution from MIPS Technologies Delivers Significant Gains in System Performance for the Embedded Market
- Virtio Virtual Platforms Jumpstarts Software Development for MIPS32 34K Core Family
- CoWare Adds MIPS32® 34K Processor Support Package to SystemC-based Model Library
- First Silicon Solutions (FS2®) Introduces System Navigator for MIPS32® 34K Debug; FS2 System Navigator Supports PDtrace and Multi-VPE Debug
Set Top Box News
- Zoran Powers New Humax Cable Set-Top Box Products for Japan; Utilizes MIPS-Based Generation 9 CPU
- NEC Electronics Introduces MIPS-Based EMMATM 2SL/P Secure MPEG Decoder For Entry-Level Set Top Boxes and Integrated Digital Televisions
- Motorola To Acquire Leading MIPS-Based Set-Top Platform Developer Kreatel Communications, Gain Immediate European Telco TV Presence
- Kreatel delivers MIPS-Based IP-STB Solution to FastTV's Scandinavian IPTV Service
- ViXS Systems Debuts Next Generation MIPS-Based MPEG Video Processor Family With Integrated Conditional Access
- ViXS Systems Introduces MIPS-Based MatrixTM Mini PCI, Plug and Play PCI Module for Wireless Multimedia Consumer Electronics
- Broadcom Announces Industry's First Front-End Cable TV Set-Top Box Chip With Integrated Channel Bonding Technology: MIPS-Based BCM3255 CPU
- Funai Demonstrates High Definition Advanced Video Compression Consumer Video Solutions; Demonstates MIPS-Based STB Using High Definition Advanced Video Compression Technology
- PLX, ViXS to Demonstrate Video-Streaming with MIPS-Based ViXS Encoder, PLX PCI Express Technology
SOHO and Wireless News
- TZero Showcases Breakthrough Technology in Wireless Streaming Video; MIPS-Based ''Jackrabbit'' Provides Wired-Quality, Whole-Home UWB Chip Set for Multimedia
- Wintegra and picoChip Announce 802.16e Development Platform; Features MIPS-Based WinMaxT access processor
- Wintegra Launches MIPS-Based Single Chip Processor Solution for 3G Wireless Infrastructure
- MIPS32® 4KEc® Core Powers High-Speed 802.11n WLAN Chipset from Metalink
Financial TablesClick here to read financial tables
- Broadcom Takes Aim at Consumer VoIP Market; New MIPS-Based VoIP Products Enable Feature-rich, Cost-effective Home Networking Devices
- D2 Technologies VPORT VoIP Software and MIPS32® 34Kc Processor Core Double VoIP Performance
- Texas Instruments Latest MIPS-Based VoIP System-on-Chip, Software Puts Customers on Fast- Track to Residential Applications
- D2 Technologies vPort Powers the New Accton Wireless Personal Gateway; vPort Software Technology Adds VoIP Support to the MIPS4Kc-Based WiFi Router SoC, Which is the Heart of Accton's VG2211i Secure Portable Wireless VoIP Gateway
- Centillium Communications' MIPS-Based Atlanta Family Receives INTERNET TELEPHONY® Magazine's 2005 ''Product of the Year'' Award
- PMC-Sierra Announces MIPS-powered Secure Wired and Wireless VoIP Phone Reference Platform
MIPS Technologies, Inc.
MIPS Technologies, Inc. is a leading provider of industry standard processor architectures and cores for digital consumer and business applications. The company drives the broadest architectural alliance that is delivering 32- and 64-bit embedded RISC solutions. The company licenses its intellectual property to semiconductor companies, ASIC developers, and system OEMs. MIPS Technologies, Inc. and its licensees offer the widest range of robust, scalable processors in standard, custom, semi-custom and application-specific products. MIPS Technologies, Inc. is based in Mountain View, Calif., and can be reached at 650-567-5000 or www.mips.com. Investor relations questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Contact MIPS Technologies, Inc.