MILPITAS, Calif., June 28, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/
- RapidChip(R) architectural features allow unmatched density and performance advantages at 90 nanometers (http://www.lsilogic.com/rapidchip )
- Reaching 10 million ASIC gates, 20Mbits of memory, 500 MHz performance and 64 channels of 8.5 Gbps SerDes, RapidChip Platform ASIC solutions encroach upon cell-based ASIC territory at considerably lower upfront investment
-- LSI Logic Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced plans for its next-generation RapidChip(R) Platform ASIC families to be manufactured in the company's G90(TM) 90 nanometer (nm) process technology. The new slices will provide system designers with the maximum integration and performance benefits of 90nm technology, along with the fast time-to-market, reduced non-recurring and reduced engineering costs of the RapidChip Platform ASIC technology. The RapidChip G90 families will allow designers to take advantage of the features of Platform ASIC technology for use in a broad base of systems including communications, storage, industrial, medical, defense and high-end consumer applications.
The RapidChip G90 families offer a range of gate counts, memory resources, I/Os, PLLs and high-speed Serializer/Deserializer (SerDes) to support a broad range of customer applications. Some of the RapidChip G90 features include:
- Useable gate counts of up to 10 million ASIC gates
- Diffused MatrixRAM(TM) memory up to 20 Mbits
- Seamless memory hierarchy with flexible RCell memory and high density MatrixRAM providing maximum flexibility to support customer memory needs
- Up to 64 channels of integrated 8.5 Gbps SerDes
- Performance up to 500 MHz
- Support for newest industry standard serial interfaces such as PCI Express (5 Gbps), FibreChannel (8.5 Gbps), Serial RIO (6 Gbps), SATA/SAS (6 Gbps), HyperTransport 2.0 (2 Gbps), Gigabit Ethernet, XAUI, and SPI4
- Landing Zone(TM) processor support for industry standard ARM, MIPS and ZSP(R) architecture cores operating at up to 400 MHz
- Industry-leading parallel memory interface support up to 400 MHz/800 Mbps (DDR2)
- Memory interface standards including FBDIMM, DDR1, DDR2 and QDR2
- Multiple standard packaging options as well as custom designed Flip Chip Plastic Ball Grid Array (FPBGA) packages
LSI Logic also offers a seamless migration from the RapidChip 90nm technology to the company's proven cell-based technology for high volume applications. This seamless migration path is possible because the process technology, intellectual property, advanced packaging, etc., are common between RapidChip Platform ASIC and the company's cell-based ASIC technology.
"This RapidChip offering will deliver the highest performance and density available in a platform based solution today," said Rich Brossart, vice president, Technology Marketing, LSI Logic. "Our unique offering will allow designers to take advantage of the performance gains provided by 90nm while minimizing NRE investment and achieving an optimum balance of risk, performance and turnaround time for a wide range of innovative designs."
In a newly released report titled "Structured ASICs, Designing for the Future" (April, 2005), senior analyst Jerry Worchel of In-Stat ranked LSI Logic as the most successful of all Platform (or 'structured') ASIC suppliers. The report went on to say, "To this point in time, LSI Logic has been the most successful of all structured ASIC suppliers. While change is inevitable, in the case of LSI Logic's leadership position, we do not expect to see change for several years."About LSI Logic Corporation
LSI Logic Corporation focuses on the design and production of high-performance semiconductors for Consumer, Communications and Storage applications that access, interconnect and store data, voice and video. LSI Logic engineers incorporate reusable, industry-standard intellectual property building blocks that serve as the heart of leading-edge systems. LSI Logic serves its global OEM, channel and distribution customers with standard-cell ASICs, Platform ASICs and standard products, host bus adapters, RAID controllers and software. In addition, the company supplies storage network solutions for the enterprise. LSI Logic is headquartered at 1621 Barber Lane, Milpitas, CA 95035. http://www.lsilogic.com
.SOURCE LSI Logic Corporation"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding LSI Logic's business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.