Oslo, NORWAY, Embedded Systems Conference, USA - September 13th, 2005 - The latest device in Nordic Semiconductors extensive portfolio of 2.4GHz wireless IC's merges high speed with ultra-low power and cost. The new nRF24L01 will enable ultra-low cost and power applications such as wireless desktops and intelligent sports equipment. The chip is a perfect fit for advanced multimedia solutions like Voice over IP (VoIP). This is possible through the innovative MultiCeiver solution in which on-chip hardware supports up to six simultaneous wireless devices.
nRF24L01 - Fully Featured 2.4GHz Transceiver Enables Market Leading Solution Cost
The nRF24L01 is developed in cooperation with leading customers in their respective segments. Every feature is carefully evaluated and selected to minimize solution cost and optimize value for end products.
The Nordic solution will enable the absolutely lowest bill of material (BOM) in any portable 2.4GHz battery operated device today.
- MultiCeiver HW for 6 devices enables multimedia desktops
- On-chip Link Layer logic simplifies firmware design
- 2Mbit/s enables high quality VoIP
- Relaxed external component specification for ultra low solution cost
- +/- 60 ppm crystal
- Chip inductors in antenna match
- No need for multi-layer PCB
- 5V tolerant signal input pads
- No need for level shifters in USB interfaces
- Enhanced ShockBurst" and serial interface for lowest cost MCU
- No need for a microcontroller with hardware SPI, even when running a bi-directional link
- 20 pin 4x4mm QFN Package Pb-free "Green" technology, RoHS compatible
- Very few external components
Industry Leading Power Consumption
The nRF24L01 represents a breakthrough for coin cell battery operated equipment in the 2.4GHz frequency band. The entire solution including Link Layer and MultiCeiver logic more than doubles the battery lifetime compared to existing nRF24XX solutions from Nordic. This further widens the gap between Nordic and its competitors. Compared to existing Bluetooth" technology the nRF24L01 consumes fractions of the power whilst at the same time offering higher effective data speeds.
- 12.5mA peak RX current, 2Mbit/s
- 11mA peak TX current @ 0dBm Pout, 2Mbit/s
- 2Mbit/s data rate enables extremely low average power consumption
- 400nA supply current in power down mode
- 32uA standby current in standby mode
- 130usec switching time and wakeup from standby mode
- On-chip voltage regulators
- 1.9V to 3.6V
- Maximum noise immunity
The Embedded Link Layer Control Reduces MCU Complexity and Cost
The Enhanced ShockBurst feature incorporating the entire link layer needed for a bidirectional protocol eliminates the need for an application MCU with high clock speed and large memory, which further the external power budget in the application.
Unmatched Radio Performance
The nRF24L01 is designed for an easy worldwide regulatory approval. The component includes a Carrier Sense signal which is used to detect frequency stationary systems such as WLAN. The high speed combined with unique switching times virtually eliminates any chance of collision with frequency hopping systems such as Bluetooth
- Mouse and keyboard
- Mobile Handsets
- Intelligent Sports Equipment
- Remote control
- Voice applications
Availability and Pricing
The nRF24L01 is available as of today. Volume shipments commence Dec 2005. The nRF24L01 is priced very competitively at USD 1.20 in 10K quantities
About Nordic Semiconductor ASA
Founded in 1983, Nordic Semiconductor has evolved steadily from the traditional ASIC design house into a leading European fabless semiconductor supplier. With world-class IC design expertise focused on RF/mixed-mode and advanced back-end/physical design capabilities, Nordic is currently marketing and selling three product families: a ground-breaking portfolio of standard components for wireless communication, high performance data converter IPs and custom design and manufacturing services (ASIC). With the ultra compact 2.4GHz transceiver and transmitter families, nRF24XX, the company has established itself as a market leader within the wireless personal interface segment comprising applications such as game pads, keyboard/mouse and sports equipment. Nordic's products are manufactured on ultra modern technologies through strong relationships with world leading manufacturing facilities and are sold through a world-wide distribution network. The company has offices in Trondheim and Oslo, Norway, as well as Hong Kong, and is listed on the Norwegian Stock Exchange (OSX: NOD). All operations are managed according to the ISO 9001-approved quality assurance system.