Update: Cadence Completes Acquisition of Tensilica (Apr 24, 2013)
Configurable Processor Company Targets Engineering Talent in India BANGALORE – February 9, 2006
– Tensilica, Inc. today announced that it has set up an Indian subsidiary to conduct fundamental, innovative research and development work for its industry leading configurable processor technology and to be closer to key customers in India. Engineers are already working on critical technology for Tensilica’s XtensaÒ configurable processor product line at this R&D center, Tensilica Technologies India, located in Pune. Tensilica’s processors are key components in system-on-chip (SOC) designs among the world’s top electronics companies, including Cisco Systems, LG Electronics, Olympus, and Seiko Epson. Tensilica expects to invest over $40 million in this engineering center over the next five years and is now actively recruiting top engineering talent for open positions at this design center.
“Because of the wealth of talented engineers available in India, we see this design center as an integral part of our core R&D effort to develop the next wave in fundamental multiprocessor SOC design technology,” stated Chris Rowen, president and CEO of Tensilica. “Already, the development efforts underway in this office have become very productive, and we see a strong interchange between the team in our Santa Clara, California USA headquarters and this team. This center also gives us stronger contact with our customers in India.”
Tensilica Technologies India is headed by industry veteran Subodh Shukla who has over 25 years of experience in high technology product development, marketing and general management.
Speaking at a press conference, Subodh Shukla, managing director of Tensilica Technologies India said, ”India has an unparalleled advantage with its large pool of qualified engineers. Tensilica recognizes India's potential both as a growing market for electronic products as well as a base for strong engineering talent. Tensilica Technologies India is a reiteration of our commitment to India and will contribute significantly to our global research and development initiatives.”
Tensilica first started its R&D efforts in India in 2004 by having an ODC (Offshore Design Centre) with a design services company in Pune. “That helped us confirm that Pune was the right city and had the right quality of life and engineering talent for our projects,” added Rowen. “Our plan, from the start, was to establish our own company in India. Now we are delighted to enter this second stage in the growth of this valuable engineering resource.”
The engineers at Tensilica’s Pune design center are working on a wide variety of projects including:
- Tensilica’s TIE (Tensilica Instruction Extension) compiler for automated hardware and software generation from a high-level processor description.
- Next-generation integrated processor, software and system design automation tools.
- Advanced multimedia architecture and applications development for cell phones, portable media and digital television.
- Custom applications engineering.
The new Tensilica Technologies India Pvt. Ltd. office is located at:
B-201/202, Pune IT Park About Tensilica
Bhau Patil Road, Bopodi
Pune - 411020, India
Tel: +91 20 56083060
Tensilica was founded in July 1997 to address the growing need for optimized, application-specific processor solutions in high-volume embedded SOC applications. With over 80 customers worldwide for its Xtensa configurable and extensible processor cores, Tensilica is the only company that has transformed the once-arduous task of generating a customized processor core and companion software development tool environment into an automated process that takes less than one hour. For more information on Tensilica's patented approach to the creation of application-specific building blocks for SOC design, visit www.tensilica.com