1-112Gbps Medium Reach (MR) and Very Short Reach (VSR) SerDes
Chinese Audio/Video codec rises; Domestic rival to WMV-9 and MPEG-4 nears standardization
(02/20/2006 9:00 AM EST)
Taipei, Taiwan -- A Chinese audio/video codec is on the verge of becoming a national standard--a domestic rival to MPEG-4/H.264 and WMV-9 that backers say will save China-based manufacturers and consumers at least tens of millions of dollars in fees and royalties during the next few years.
Since mid-2002, the Audio Video Coding Standard (AVS) has been inching its way through a relatively open technical-development process. China's Ministry of Information Industry recently completed a one-year review and quietly approved AVS in December as a candidate for a national compression standard, passing it to the Standards Administration of China, which should formally OK it in the coming months.
That would mark a small victory for Chinese standards setters because the effort to craft the codec was largely transparent, with more than 130 domestic and foreign companies, as well as universities, taking part in the AVS Working Group.
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|
Search Silicon IP
- 4i2i Communications Licenses Coding Technologies' MPEG-4 aacPlus Audio Codec
- New ARC Player Subsystem Combines Audio and MPEG-4 Video Functionality for Low Cost Consumer Devices
- Nero Introduces Reference Quality Nero Digital Audio MPEG-4 and 3G Encoding Software; Free download is available for personal use via Nero website
- The Arrival of World's First High Definition MPEG-4 Video Codec for Licensing from IndigoVision
- Sarnoff To Demo MPEG-4 CIF Video Codec For Cell Phones On ARM Platform At FSA Suppliers Expo
- 2026 All-Time High in Store for Global 300mm Semiconductor Fab Capacity After 2023 Slowdown, SEMI Reports
- Designing MPUs/MCUs with Functional Safety
- Sensor Fusion Explores AI to Prep for ADAS, AV Designs
- MIPI A-PHY Specification Levels Up In-Vehicle Connectivity
- Bluetooth Dual Mode V5.3 RF Transceiver IP Cores in 22nm ULP is Available for Immediate Licensing for Smart Audio Chipsets
- OPENEDGES Completes the Tapeout of the 7nm HBM3 Memory Subsystem (PHY & Memory Controller) Test chip
- Verisity Announces Specman Elite Version 4
- BrainChip Begins Taking Orders of Akida AI Processor Development Kits
- Renesas to Acquire Panthronics to Extend Connectivity Portfolio with Near-Field Communication Technology
- SoftBank and EdgeCortix Partner to Jointly Realize Low-latency and Highly Energy-efficient 5G Wireless Accelerators