Tensilica, Virage Logic and SMIC Partner to Provide Hard Macro Versions of Diamond Standard Processor Cores
Agreement Helps Bring Diamond Standard Processors to China
Shanghai, CHINA, Fremont, CA, and Santa Clara, CA – February 20, 2006 –Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (“SMIC”, NYSE: SMI and HKSE: 0.981.HK), Virage Logic Corporation (Nasdaq: VIRL) and Tensilica today announced a collaboration to provide hard macro versions of Tensilica’s new Diamond Standard processor cores. The processors will be implemented using Virage Logic’s silicon-proven IPrima Foundation™ Platform IP and will target SMIC’s 130-nanometer (nm) process technology.
“Tensilica’s new Diamond Standard processor cores are among the industry leaders in high performance and low power,” stated Paul OuYang, vice president of Design Services at SMIC. “By implementing the cores with Virage Logic’s IPrima Foundation Platform IP, the Diamond Standard processors should be reliable and easily manufacturable, thus reducing risk and shortening the overall design cycle. We believe that a large number of our customers will be interested in using these cores.”
“We are pleased to work with Tensilica and SMIC to develop hard macro versions of the Diamond Standard processors,” said Adam Kablanian, president and CEO, Virage Logic. “By utilizing the embedded memories and standard cell libraries in our IPrima Foundation for SMIC’s 130nm process, Tensilica’s worldwide Diamond Series processor customers will be able to gain both high performance and low power advantages.”
“SMIC is one of the leading semiconductor manufacturers in the world, and Virage Logic produces technically superior semiconductor IP platforms, so we are delighted to work with both companies to provide hardened versions of our Diamond Standard processors,” stated Chris Rowen, Tensilica’s president and CEO. “We believe there will be a strong interest in China, where we believe our ultra-low power controller cores and the unique Diamond 330Hifi audio processor to be very good fits with the rapid growth of consumer electronics design firms.”
Under the agreement, SMIC will provide complete design and manufacturing services - including incorporation of the Diamond Series hard macros into design databases - for companies requiring low-power, high-performance processors and DSPs in SMIC’s 130nm process. The hard macro solutions resulting from the collaboration will enable systems and semiconductor companies to use SMIC’s foundry process with minimum integration cost, accelerated integration time and reduced risk. A hardened core is a complete and tested physical design of a processor core, which can be included into an ASIC design.
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation, (¡°SMIC¡±, NYSE: SMI, SEHK: 0981.HK), headquartered in Shanghai, China, is an international company and one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world, providing integrated circuit (IC) manufacturing at 0.35um to 90nm and finer line technologies to customers worldwide. Established in 2000, SMIC has four 8-inch wafer fabrication facilities in volume production in Shanghai and Tianjin. In the first quarter of 2005, SMIC commenced commercial production at its 12-inch wafer fabrication facility in Beijing, the first 12-inch fab in China. SMIC also maintains customer service and marketing offices in the U.S., Europe, and Japan, and a representative office in Hong Kong. SMIC’s pool of talents includes over 2,500 semiconductor industry experts and technical staff. SMIC has achieved ISO9001, ISO/TS16949, OHSAS18001, TL9000, BS7799 and ISO14001 certifications. For additional information, please visit http://www.smics.com.
About Virage Logic
Founded in 1996, Virage Logic Corporation (Nasdaq:VIRL) rapidly established itself as a technology and market leader in providing advanced embedded memory intellectual property (IP) for the design of complex integrated circuits. Today the company is a global leader in semiconductor IP platforms comprising embedded memories, logic, and I/Os and is pioneering the development of a new class of IP called Silicon Aware IP™. Silicon Aware IP tightly integrates Physical IP (memory, logic and I/Os) with the embedded test, diagnostic, and repair capabilities of Infrastructure IP to help ensure manufacturability and optimized yield at the advanced process nodes. Virage Logic's highly differentiated product portfolio provides higher performance, lower power, higher density and optimal yield to foundries, integrated device manufacturers (IDMs) and fabless customers who develop products for the consumer, communications and networking, hand-held and portable, and computer and graphics markets. The company uses its FirstPass-Silicon™ Characterization Lab for certain products to help ensure high quality, reliable IP across a wide range of foundries and process technologies. Headquartered in Fremont, California, Virage Logic has R&D, sales and support offices worldwide. For more information, visit www.viragelogic.com.
Tensilica was founded in July 1997 to address the growing need for optimized, application-specific microprocessor and DSP solutions in high-volume embedded applications. Using a patented configurable and extensible processor generation technology, Tensilica is the only company that offers a wide range of controller, CPU and specialty DSP processors in both off-the-shelf format via the Diamond Standard series cores, and with full designer-configurability with the Xtensa processor family. Every Tensilica processor core comes complete with a companion software development tool environment, portfolio of system simulation models, and hardware implementation tool support. . For more information on Tensilica's patented approach to the creation of application-specific building blocks for SOC design, visit www.tensilica.com.
Search Silicon IP
SMIC Hot IP
- CEVA, SMIC and Brite Semiconductor Partner to Provide Hard Macro Versions of CEVA DSP Cores and Platforms
- Express Logic ThreadX Available for Tensilica's New Third-Generation Diamond Standard Dataplane Processor Cores
- Virage Logic and Tensilica Introduce Core-Optimized IP Kits for Tensilica's Diamond Standard Processors
- Express Logic(R) and Tensilica(R) Announce ThreadX(R) RTOS for Tensilica's Diamond Standard and Xtensa(R) Processor Cores
- Timesys Announces Embedded Linux for Tensilica Diamond Standard 232L Processor Core
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
- Microchip Slashes Time to Innovation with Industry's Most Power-Efficient Mid-Range FPGA Industrial Edge Stack, More Core Library IP and Conversion Tools
- Consortium's Move Will Boost RISC-V Ecosystem, Thankfully
- Are Chiplets Enough to Save Moore's Law?
- Andes Technology Showcases Pioneering RISC-V CPU IP Solutions at RISC-V Summit Europe
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Intel Foundry Services Ushers in a New Era
- Chiplet Pioneer Eliyan Achieves First Silicon in Record Time with Implementation in TSMC 5nm Process, Confirms Most Efficient Chiplet Interconnect Solution in the Multi-Die Era
- MediaTek Partners With NVIDIA to Provide Full-Scale Product Roadmap to the Automotive Industry
- Semidynamics announces largest, fully customisable Vector Unit in the RISC-V market, delivering up to 2048b of computation per cycle for unprecedented data handling
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|