Digital Clock Generation IP Eliminates Need for Multiple Analog PLLs Enabling Lower Cost and More Reliable Devices CAMPBELL, Calif. – December 3, 2007
– IPextreme, Inc. today announced that the company is bringing advanced Motorola clock generation technology to market in the form of licensable semiconductor intellectual property (IP).
The Multiple Reference Clock Generator (MRCG) is a patented digital clock synthesis technology developed by Motorola and is now offered to the global semiconductor market through IPextreme. The patented technology underlying MRCG offers an attractive alternative to traditional analog Phase Locked Loops (PLL) for generation of on-chip clocks with a frequency range from 2Mhz to 1Ghz by providing a pure digital clock generator. It also allows for the following features not available in PLLs:
- purely digital design portable to any semiconductor technology;
- ability to control frequency and edges of clock outputs “on-the-fly” via a serial programmable interface (SPI);
- ability to deskew on-chip and off-chip clocks for system level calibration;
- deterministic, instant start/stop of clock outputs, as no “lock” period is required for clocks to stabilize;
- smaller area and lower power as compared to multiple PLLs; and
- reduced cycle time reaction to market changes.
Motorola chose IPextreme as its licensing partner to enable the broad market because of the company’s IP licensing commitment to the semiconductor market and its relationships with large semiconductor companies all over the world.
“Motorola’s rich portfolio of patent technology has been developed over time in our labs,” commented Jim O’Connor, Motorola’s corporate vice president of Motorola Technology Acceleration. “Bringing MRCG to market for licensing is an example of how Motorola’s investment in creating valuable technology can be monetized and leveraged by companies all over the world.”
Warren Savage, president and CEO, IPextreme added, “MCRG is a unique and differentiated IP that will provide our customers doing advanced semiconductor design a technology that will differentiate their chips from competitors using older clock generation technology.” MRCG Licensing Availability
MRCG is available today. For pricing and more information, visit www.ip-extreme.com/IP/MRCG.html
. About IPextreme Inc.
IPextreme brings high-value intellectual property (IP) from large semiconductor companies to consumer and automotive system-on-chip (SOC) designers worldwide. These products are silicon proven to minimize design risk and provided in a process-independent and EDA-neutral format, for easy use by the broadest range of customers. With a decade of experience in developing, packaging, licensing and supporting IP, our team offers a complete business solution for semiconductor companies to strategically leverage their internal IP portfolio to grow overall revenue. IPextreme has offices in Campbell, California, Munich, Germany and Tokyo, Japan with representatives in India, Israel, Korea and Taiwan. For additional information, please visit www.ip-extreme.com