STMicroelectronics Samples 65nm Hard Disk Drive Iterative Decoding Channel
Geneva, December 12,2007 -- STMicroelectronics, one of the world’s largest semiconductor suppliers and a leader in complex System-on-Chip (SoC) solutions for disk drives, is sampling its first 65nm iterative read channel for the low-power mobile segment of Hard Disk Drives (HDD). ST’s iterative channel signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) gain is a key enabler for sustaining the industry’s aggressive 40% compound annual growth rate in storage capacity. As well, even with the increased complexity of iterative technology ST has decreased power by greater than 25%, vital in mobile HDD applications.
This Mobile IP is the first offering from ST’s Tiziano family of read channel macros, which will also include channels customized for the desktop and enterprise market segments. Each of the channels in the Tiziano family share common features and firmware, allowing customers to leverage their investment across multiple product segments.
The third generation of ST’s production-proven read channels, Tiziano supports the latest industry requirements for perpendicular recording, low power, servo detection and demodulation, defect mapping and self servo write. ST’s Tiziano channel innovation enhances application battery live time and reliability through lower power by utilizing conditional iteration techniques and dynamic voltage control. Iterative decoding is targeted at perpendicular recording enabling significant capacity gains over the previous generation withat least 0.7dB post ECC SNR gain. Further capacity boost beyond the base iterative architecture is enabled through enhanced servo detection and demodulation that improves servo positioning and thus allows an increase in the number of tracks and format efficiency. Tiziano enhances the HDD manufacturing process through a proprietary self-servo write that enables faster manufacturing cycle time and more accurate writing of tracks, for higher yield. Additionally, product reliability is enhanced by improved media defect mapping and defect handling enhancements.
“Tiziano accelerates the path to the next generation of hard disk drives across mobile, desktop and enterprise markets,” said Vittorio Peduto, General Manager of Data Storage at STs Computer Peripherals Group. ”Once again, ST confirms its position at the forefront of data storage technology development, offering best-in-class solution to our strategic partners in the hard-disk drive segment.”
The Tiziano read channel macro is receiving significant interest with major HDD suppliers and is available for integration within 65nm SoC’s. ST’s IPs are developed in close collaboration with strategic customers to address their specific requirements and ensure competitiveness. Tiziano rounds out ST’s portfolio of 65 nm HDD SoC IP allowing ST to provide customers with complete turnkey solutions or a solution utilizing both ST and customer IP.
STMicroelectronics is a global leader in developing and delivering semiconductor solutions across the spectrum of microelectronics applications. An unrivalled combination of silicon and system expertise, manufacturing strength, Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio and strategic partners positions the Company at the forefront of System-on-Chip (SoC) technology and its products play a key role in enabling today's convergence markets. The Company's shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange, on Euronext Paris and on the Milan Stock Exchange. In 2006, the Company's net revenues were $9.85 billion and net earnings were $782 million. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
Search Silicon IP
- STMicroelectronics Samples 65nm Multi-Standard Hard Disk Drive Physical Layer IP
- Infineon Achieves Industry-Best Performance of Disk Drive Read Channel Based on 90 nm Technology; Core Targeted for SoC Supporting 6 Gbs Hard Disk Serial Interface Standards
- LSI and Seagate Co-develop Technology for Next-Generation High-Capacity Hard Disk Drives
- LSI Announces Industry's First 28nm Read Channel for Hard Disk Drive Manufacturers
- LSI Samples New Generation of 65nm Physical Layer IP for Hard Disk Drives
- intoPIX and PlexusAV Pioneer IPMX Standard-Based AV-over-IP Solutions
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Global Semiconductor Sales Increase 0.3% Month-to-Month in April
- Defacto will celebrate its 20th anniversary at DAC with customer presentations and major technical announcements
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
- Are Chiplets Enough to Save Moore's Law?
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Consortium's Move Will Boost RISC-V Ecosystem, Thankfully
- Agile Analog launches first complete RISC-V analog IP subsystem at RISC-V Summit Europe
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|