MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- Aug. 20, 2008 -- Synopsys, Inc. (NASDAQ: SNPS), a world leader in software and IP for semiconductor design and manufacturing, today reported results for its third quarter ended July 31, 2008.
For the third quarter, Synopsys reported revenue of $344.1 million, a 13.2 percent increase compared to $304.1 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2007.
"Our technology and product pipeline are strong throughout our broad portfolio, and we are seeing good competitive momentum," said Aart de Geus, chairman and CEO of Synopsys. "Even at a time of increased customer caution around spending, Synopsys continues to perform well."
On a generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) basis, net income for the third quarter of fiscal 2008 was $57.7 million, or $0.39 per share, compared to $24.9 million, or $0.17 per share for the third quarter of fiscal 2007. GAAP earnings per share included a $17.3 million tax benefit associated with the settlement of an IRS tax issue for fiscal years 2000 and 2001.
On a non-GAAP basis, net income for the third quarter of fiscal 2008 was $64.5 million, or $0.44 per share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $47.7 million, or $0.32 per share, for the third quarter of fiscal 2007.
Non-GAAP net income consists of GAAP net income excluding employee share- based compensation expense calculated in accordance with FAS 123® and, to the extent incurred in a particular quarter or period, amortization of intangible assets (which could include in-process research and development charges), facilities realignment charges, and other significant items, including a tax benefit from a settlement with the IRS in the third quarter, and the related tax-effect of each, which, in the opinion of management, are infrequent or non-recurring. See "GAAP Reconciliation" below.
Synopsys also provided its operating model targets for the fourth quarter and full fiscal year 2008. These targets constitute forward-looking information and are based on current expectations. For a discussion of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from these targets, see "Forward-Looking Statements" below.
- Fourth Quarter of Fiscal Year 2008 Targets:
- Revenue: $348 million - $356 million
- GAAP expenses: $295 million - $310 million
- Non-GAAP expenses: $273 million - $283 million
- Other income and expense: $0 - $3 million
- Tax rate applied in non-GAAP net income calculations: approximately 27 percent
- Fully diluted outstanding shares: 147 million - 152 million
- GAAP earnings per share: $0.23 - $0.29
- Non-GAAP earnings per share: $0.36 - $0.39
- Revenue from backlog: greater than 90 percent
- Full Fiscal Year 2008 Targets:
- Revenue: $1.332 billion - $1.340 billion
- Tax rate applied in non-GAAP net income calculations: approximately 26 percent
- Fully diluted outstanding shares: 147 million - 150 million
- GAAP earnings per share: $1.20 - $1.26
- Non-GAAP earnings per share: $1.65 - $1.68
- Cash flow from operations: $300 million - $325 million
to read financial tables
Synopsys, Inc. (NASDAQ: SNPS) is a world leader in electronic design automation (EDA), supplying the global electronics market with the software, intellectual property (IP) and services used in semiconductor design and manufacturing. Synopsys' comprehensive, integrated portfolio of implementation, verification, IP, manufacturing and field-programmable gate array (FPGA) solutions helps address the key challenges designers and manufacturers face today, such as power and yield management, system-to- silicon verification and time-to-results. These technology-leading solutions help give Synopsys customers a competitive edge in bringing the best products to market quickly while reducing costs and schedule risk. Synopsys is headquartered in Mountain View, California, and has more than 60 offices located throughout North America, Europe, Japan, Asia and India. Visit Synopsys online at http://www.synopsys.com/.