Xilinx Showcases IP and Software Capabilities of Latest XA Solutions Optimized for Vision-based ApplicationsDETROIT, Oct. 20, 2008
-- At the Convergence(R) Conference and Exhibition today, Xilinx, Inc. (Nasdaq: XLNX), the world's leading programmable logic device (PLD) provider, demonstrated the latest releases of its Xilinx(R) Automotive (XA) solutions. Jointly developed with Xilinx Alliance Program members, these solutions integrate new application-specific intellectual property (IP) and software-based modelling tools to address the complex image and data processing requirements of vision-based driver assistance (DA) and driver information (DI) systems. Combined with Xilinx automotive-qualified programmable devices, these capabilities provide flexible, cost-effective solutions that go beyond silicon to ease development and improve time to market of next-generation automotive systems.
"These latest XA offerings from Xilinx will further expand the automotive market's adoption of FPGA-based platforms, as more camera-based driver assistance safety and convenience features are incorporated into vehicles over the next 10 years. These include rear-parking cameras, lane departure warning systems, sign recognition and drowsy driver monitoring," said Colin Barnden, principal analyst at Semicast. "Driver information systems and instrument clusters are migrating to hybrid and fully reconfigurable digital screen displays. The flexibility and scalability provided by programmable solutions will be critical to support this change."
"Automotive electronics is a strategic focus for Xilinx, and we are working closely with our customers to solve their system architecture challenges. This requires us to target applications for which we can add critical value, and guarantee overall lowest cost with solutions that go beyond silicon," said Harvey Steele, vice president of Automotive and Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) business at Xilinx. "Developers are already integrating FPGA-based platforms to differentiate their driver assistance and driver information offerings, and our latest IP and software capabilities make it even easier for them to leverage sophisticated semiconductor products."
Xilinx is showcasing its XA FPGA solutions from October 20 to October 22 at Detroit's Cobo Center in Xilinx Booth #325. DA and DI application demonstrations feature an automotive video and data recorder, multi-camera image processing platform, analytics-based lane departure warning system, as well as hybrid and fully reconfigurable cluster display systems.Driver Assistance Applications
The automotive industry is quickly adopting camera-based technologies for use in driver assistance systems. While DA systems are still optional in most vehicles today, lane departure warning and prevention systems may be mandated in the future to address run-off-the-road accidents, responsible for 40 percent of all fatal crashes(1). XA solutions are proven to drive innovation in this area with its Extended Spartan-3A family of low-cost devices, IP and software tools that enable higher levels of system integration and reduction in total system costs. At Convergence 2008, Xilinx is showcasing these capabilities for three vision-based DA applications:
- Automotive Video and Data Recorder (VADR) enables real-time processing of live camera images and previously recorded roadway data. Demonstrates image sharpening, low pass filtering, sobel edge detection, local area processing, and optical flow measurements on a Spartan-3 FPGA.
- Lane Departure Warning Image Pre-Processor illustrates transition from PC-based image analytics algorithms to FPGA-based hardware. Demonstrates a lane marker detection algorithm processed on a Spartan-3A DSP device. Features an FGPA implementation method utilizing Xilinx System Generator for DSP software as a plug-in toolbox for The MathWorks Simulink(R) modelling environment. Also highlights accelerated algorithm testing with hardware co-simulation performance.
Driver Information Applications
- Multi-Camera Image Processing Platform enables the simultaneous processing and user selection of four camera streams from various on-vehicle camera locations. Features Xilinx Spartan-3A DSP FPGA Video Starter Kit (VSK) with Xylon logiLENS and logiCVC IP solutions.
Hybrid and fully reconfigurable displays (also referred to as cluster displays) are among the fastest growing automotive applications targeted for FPGAs with their ability to integrate multiple functions and provide end of line programmability. At Convergence 2008, Xilinx demonstrates that complete cluster display solutions can be implemented on low-cost XA FPGAs and scaled as needed across different platforms.
- Hybrid cluster (dials and digital display) integrates stepper motor control of the analog gauges with graphics controller for the digital display. Demonstrates support for broad range of I/O standards, multiple configurations and extensive design reuse. Features Xylon LogiCRAFT3 development board with XA Spartan-3E FPGA and MicroBlaze(TM) soft core processor.
About Xilinx Automotive Solutions
- Reconfigurable cluster combines traditional dashboard information in a digital format with full digital display of driver assistance information. Demonstrates the flexibility and system integration capabilities of programmable platforms using rear view camera in vehicle-reverse application. Features XA Spartan-3A DSP FPGA with application-specific IP for multiple LCD displays and camera-based image processing.
Xilinx is the automotive programmable logic device market leader with its Xilinx Automotive (XA) line of FPGAs and CPLDs tested to the AEC-Q100 automotive qualification specification. The company's solutions go beyond silicon with the most comprehensive ecosystem of production-proven LogiCORE(TM) and AllianceCORE IP, operating systems, middleware, software, and development boards. Xilinx is also certified to ISO-TS16949 automotive quality management standards underscoring its commitment to being the preferred supplier of high quality products and solutions. For more information about Xilinx automotive solutions, visit: http://www.xilinx.com/automotive.About Xilinx
Xilinx is the worldwide leader in complete programmable logic solutions. For more information, visit http://www.xilinx.com
(1) The Hansen Report on Automotive Electronics, December 2007/January 2008