Consumer equipment makers to benefit from highly integrated chip with world-class Faroudja(TM) video/audio enhancements, delivering full high-definition digital TV processing and accelerated Internet TV support
GENEVA, Dec. 16, 2009 -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), one of the world's largest semiconductor companies and a leader in chips for set-top boxes and digital TVs, today announced the launch of a new generation of high-performance, full high-definition (FHD) H.264/MPEG System-on-Chip (SoC) ICs for the worldwide flat-panel digital TV (DTV) market. Next-generation TVs powered by the new SoCs will enable compelling services and new business models for premium content, and deliver a rich and intuitive user experience.
The FLI7510 is the first member of the new family (codenamed 'Freeman') of performance- and software-scalable SoCs, addressing mainstream and high-end segments of the DTV market. Additionally, the FLI7510 is designed to meet the increasingly stringent system-energy consumption standards for 'green' consumer electronics equipment.
Addressing both the digital broadcast and fast-emerging broadband-Internet TV markets, the FLI7510 SoC is the culmination of the integration of world-class technologies from ST's industry-leading set-top-box chips and the Emmy Award winning Faroudja(TM) video processing technologies from Genesis Microchip, which ST acquired in 2008.
"The introduction of this next-generation SoC is a major milestone that further bolsters ST's leadership in digital lifestyle solutions," said Luigi Mantellassi, General Manager of ST's TV and Monitor Division. "The FLI7510 builds upon an industry-leading scalable architecture that has been deployed in many consumer electronics products. The chip powerfully supports a common global chassis approach to TV design and enables a new class of TV products offering exciting new user-interface capabilities. Together with additional members of the 'Freeman' family, which will be introduced in 2010, the FLI7510 sets a new market reference in terms of system, audio, video and graphics performance for Internet TV applications."
Compatible with digital terrestrial TV standards worldwide, the FLI7510 comprises an extensive portfolio of industry-leading capabilities including:
•Flexible and powerful decoder, providing support for all major video content formats;
•World-class Faroudja-optimized video and audio processing;
•Internet TV ready environment including fully dedicated application processor and advanced graphics capabilities;
•Content protection via secure processor supporting major standards;
•Field-proven, high-level API (application programming interface) for accelerated time-to-market for TV OEMs.
Availability and Pricing
The FLI7510 SoC is now sampling to qualified customers. Pricing is available upon request. The FLI7510 will be demonstrated at ST's private demo suite for customers at CES 2010 in Las Vegas.
STMicroelectronics is a global leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications with innovative semiconductor solutions. ST aims to be the undisputed leader in multimedia convergence and power applications leveraging its vast array of technologies, design expertise and combination of intellectual property portfolio, strategic partnerships and manufacturing strength. In 2008, the Company's net revenues were $9.84 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
Faroudja(TM) and related trademarks are property of STMicroelectronics.
Further Information on the Advanced Technologies of the FLI7510
- Dedicated, Multi-Format Video Decoder - ST's leadership position in the MPEG IC market has produced a field-proven, flexible, multi-format decoder which is deployed in millions of set-top boxes cable as well as in digital TVs. Continuing the evolution path in this IP, the latest version includes native decode support for all leading video content formats such as high definition MPEG-2, H.264, VC1, AVS and DivX(TM), as well as blazing JPEG decode.
- Dedicated, Dual Programmable Audio DSPs - New levels of audio performance are now possible with FLI7510. With a large library of name brand and ST proprietary, standard as well as post-processing algorithms available for TV OEMs to choose from, the FLI7510 brings digital audio processing to the forefront.
- Security Processor - Allows content owners and TV OEMs to confidently proliferate rich compelling content to FLI7510-based TVs operating in a trusted and secured environment. The FLI7510 fully supports emerging security standards such as DVB-CI+, allows full compliance with DRM robustness rules while providing hardware acceleration to offload the main application processor.
- Faroudja Video Optimized - Leveraging Faroudja's 35 years of home theater display expertise, the latest innovations include:
- Leading analog video capture/decoder/processor elevates legacy analog content to a stellar quality level suited for large, full high definition displays
- Faroudja 14-bit color/contrast processing is the industry's leading performance for DTV SoC delivers outstanding and precise fidelity on high performance FHD TV panels. This accurate processing maximizes the rendition of content with xv.YCC and deep color encoding. Precise color re-mapping tools allow TV OEMs to render image characteristics to their proprietary preferences.
- Faroudja Movie Theme - FLI7510-powered FHD TVs can be equipped with a pre-calibrated theme easily accessible by the consumer. This theme delivers an immersive experience with more natural and life-like results from Blu-ray and other high definition content.
- Faroudja Video Tuning Tools - Critically important for successful deployment of advanced video processing technologies is a flexible suite of tools which allow TV OEMs to rapidly prototype and customize to their video quality needs. To this end, the Faroudja video quality tuning application allows for access to detailed FLI7510 video personalization parameters in a real-time, easy-to-use PC- based graphical user interface environment. As well, a powerful capability to inject TV OEMs' proprietary, real-time, frame-by-frame, adaptive video quality algorithms inside FLI7510 is supported, fulfilling a long sought-after capability for differentiation.
- Faroudja Audio Optimized - This unique capability delivers unprecedented stereo audio fidelity from standard TV speakers, not only allows TV OEMs to reduce bill-of-materials cost, but also allows aggressive styling of the TV chassis and bezel designs in an attractive, slim profile. Faroudja Audio Optimized, quickly and easily implemented once per TV model, is the industry's first equalization technique based on a FIR filter design and proprietary algorithms that correct both amplitude and phase deficiencies in the loudspeaker stereo response profile.
- Internet TV-Ready - An optimized Linux environment leveraging a fully dedicated application processor plus accelerated A/V decoders, graphics engine, and security processor, enables FLI7510-based TVs to deliver rich, interactive applications for convenient access to multimedia content, both from within the home and from the Internet. ST's strong relationships with popular Internet TV service and technology providers give TV OEMs a fast ramp-up to deliver compelling value-add content to the living room.
- Board Support Package (BSP) - A field-proven, high-level application programming interface provides a wealth of capability and accelerated time-to-market for TV OEMs. The FLI7510's BSP is designed to unify deployment into the fragmented, worldwide DTV market, incorporating many commonly needed software modules to allow TV OEMs to focus their efforts on their differentiation ideas rather than on foundation-level software. The BSP also enables quick launch of value-add features like Internet TV, DVR, and enhanced media player.