DOCOMO, Renesas Electronics, Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic Mobile Communications and Sharp to Develop Mobile Application Platform
Tokyo, Apr 26, 2010 -- NTT DOCOMO, INC., Renesas Electronics Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, NEC Corporation, Panasonic Mobile Communications Co., Ltd. and Sharp Corporation today announced their agreement to jointly develop a new application platform for mobile phones that will be compatible with both the Symbian and Linux operating systems. Commercial launch of mobile phones incorporating the new platform is scheduled in the second half of the fiscal year ending in March 2012.
The new platform will offer improved processing speeds for high-quality video and enhanced 3D graphics processing for advanced mobile multimedia functions.
All six companies will utilize their expertise in mobile phone development based on their respective experiences in using existing platforms for either Symbian or Linux. In particular, the new platform will enable mobile phone manufacturers Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic Mobile Communications and Sharp to avoid having to develop basic application-processing functions on their own, thereby allowing them to significantly reduce development time and costs and conversely invest more time and resources in the development of manufacturer-specific handset features.
The platform is planned to be offered to mobile phone manufacturers worldwide.
Compatibility with open operating systems such as Android also is under consideration.
Fujitsu is a leading provider of IT-based business solutions for the global marketplace. With approximately 175,000 employees supporting customers in 70 countries, Fujitsu combines a worldwide corps of systems and services experts with highly reliable computing and communications products and advanced microelectronics to deliver added value to customers. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.6 trillion yen (US$47 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. For more information, please see: www.fujitsu.com.
About NEC Corporation
NEC Corporation (TSE: 6701) is one of the world's leading providers of Internet, broadband network and enterprise business solutions dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of a diversified global base of customers. NEC delivers tailored solutions in the key fields of computer, networking and electron devices, by integrating its technical strengths in IT and Networks, and by providing advanced semiconductor solutions through NEC Electronics Corporation. The NEC Group employs more than 150,000 people worldwide. For additional information, please visit the NEC website at: http://www.nec.com.
About NTT DOCOMO
NTT DOCOMO is the world's leading mobile operator and provider of advanced mobile services. The company serves over 55 million customers in Japan, including 48 million using i-mode(TM), the world's most popular mobile e-mail/Internet platform, and 51 million using FOMA(TM), the world's original 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. As a leader in the development of cutting-edge mobile technologies, DOCOMO is continually expanding the role of mobile phones as versatile and highly personalized "lifestyle tools" for everyday life, including with a wide range of innovative services for mobile payments, GPS, mobile TV, multimedia content and much more. NTT DOCOMO is listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.nttdocomo.com.
Sharp Corporation (TSE: 6753) is a worldwide developer of innovative products and core technologies that play a key role in shaping the future of electronics. As a leader in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and digital technologies, Sharp offers one of the broadest and most advanced lines of consumer electronics, information products and electronic components, while also creating new network businesses. For more information, please visit www.sharp.co.jp.
About Renesas Technology Corp.
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), the world's number one supplier of microcontrollers, is a premiere supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions including microcontrollers, SoC solutions and a broad-range of analog and power devices. Business operations began as Renesas Electronics in April 2010 through the integration of NEC Electronics Corporation (TSE:6723) and Renesas Technology Corp., with operations spanning research, development, design and manufacturing for a wide range of applications. Headquartered in Japan, Renesas Electronics has subsidiaries in 20 countries worldwide. More information can be found at www.renesas.com.
About Panasonic Mobile Communications Co., Ltd.
Panasonic Mobile Communications Co., Ltd., whose headquarters are based in Yokohama, Japan, is a worldwide leader in the development and manufacture of mobile communications products. As one of the main business domains for Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., best known for its Panasonic brand digital electronics, Panasonic has been developing cutting edge technologies since its establishment in 1958, including the world's first 3G video handset for the Japanese market in 2001. Panasonic is committed in providing added-value solutions to end-users through its mobile communication products. For more information, please visit www.panasonic.co.jp/pmc/en
Search Silicon IP
- NTT DOCOMO, Renesas, Fujitsu, and Sharp to Jointly Develop Platform for HSUPA Mobile Phone
- NTT DoCoMo, Renesas, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi Electric, Sharp, and Sony Ericsson to Jointly Develop Platform for 3G Mobile Phone Handsets
- NTT DoCoMo, Renesas, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi Electric and Sharp to Jointly Develop Platform for W-CDMA Handsets
- Renesas Electronics and Renesas Mobile License ARM Processor IP for Next Generation Communications Processors and Application Processors
- Multiple Tensilica IP Cores Power NEC, Fujitsu and Panasonic Mobile Communications Fully Functional LTE Handset SOC for Major Japanese Wireless Carrier
- TSMC May 2023 Revenue Report
- TSMC Announces the Opening of Advanced Backend Fab 6, Marking a Milestone in the Expansion of 3DFabric™ System Integration Technology
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|