Shanghai -- November 11, 2010 -- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) (“SMIC” or the “Company”), one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world, today announced its consolidated results of operations for the three months ended September 30, 2010.
Third Quarter 2010 Highlights:
- Revenue up by 7.6% to $410.1 million in 3Q10 from $381.1 million in 2Q10 and up by 26.8% compared to 3Q09.
- Gross margins improved to 24.5% in 3Q10 compared to 15.6% in 2Q10 primarily due to an increase in fab utilization and lower depreciation costs.
- Net cash flow from operations decreased to $125.2 million in 3Q10 from $167.5 million in 2Q10.
- Gain attributable to holders of ordinary shares was US$30.4 million in 3Q10, compared to gain of US$96.0 million in 2Q10.
- Diluted EPS was $0.06 per ADS.
Fourth Quarter 2010 Guidance:
The following statements are forward looking statements which are based on current expectation and which involve risks and uncertainties, some of which are set forth under “Safe Harbor Statements” below.
- Revenue is expected to be flat quarter-on-quarter.
- Gross margin is expected to range from 21% to 23%.
- Operating expenses excluding foreign exchange differences are expected to range from $80 million to $84 million.
- 2010 annual capital expenditures are expected to range from $750 million to $800 million.
Commenting on the quarterly results, Dr. David NK Wang, President and Chief Executive Officer of SMIC remarked, "I am pleased to report that SMIC is profitable this quarter on both operational and net income levels, due to a good overall market environment and SMIC’s internal improvements. With only 3% capacity increase year-over-year, we were able to grow our revenue 27% and our gross margin from 0.8% in Q3 last year to 24.5% this year.
Revenue contribution from 65nm doubled compared to the second quarter. Our 40nm low-leakage technology process was frozen on schedule with a leading customer’s endorsement. We are accelerating our other 45nm programs, targeting revenue in the second half of 2011."
Conference Call / Webcast Announcement
- Date: Wednesday, November 3, 2010
- Time: 8:30 a.m. Shanghai time
- Dial-in numbers and pass code: US 1-617-597-5342 (Pass code: SMIC)
HK 852-3002-1672 (Pass code: SMIC) A live webcast of the 2010 third quarter announcement will be available at http://www.smics.com under the “Investor Relations” section.
An archived version of the webcast, along with an electronic copy of this news release will be available on the SMIC website for a period of 12 months following the webcast.
For full report go to: http://www.smics.com/website/enVersion/IR/quarterlyResults3Q10.htm
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (“SMIC”; NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) is one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world and the largest and most advanced foundry in Mainland China, providing integrated circuit (IC) foundry and technology services at 0.35-micron to 45/40-nanometer. Headquartered in Shanghai, China, SMIC has a 300mm wafer fabrication facility (fab) and three 200mm wafer fabs in its Shanghai mega-fab, two 300mm wafer fabs in its Beijing mega-fab, a 200mm wafer fab in Tianjin, a 200mm fab under construction in Shenzhen, and an in-house assembly and testing facility in Chengdu. SMIC also has customer service and marketing offices in the U.S., Europe, and Japan, and a representative office in Hong Kong. In addition, SMIC manages and operates a 300mm wafer fab in Wuhan owned by Wuhan Xinxin Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation.
For more information, please visit www.smics.com