Xilinx Offers the Only FPGA meeting 10G Optical Jitter Performance for Pairing with SFP+, XFP and CFP Modules
SAN JOSE, Calif., Nov. 8, 2010 -- Xilinx, Inc., (Nasdaq: XLNX) today announced the immediate availability of Virtex(R)-6 HXT FPGAs that support 40Gbps and 100Gbps line cards with flexible port configurations including 1x40Gbps, 4x10Gbps, 1x100Gbps and 10x10Gbps. Additionally, Virtex-6 HXT FPGAs support the long reach optical requirements of next generation communications equipment without the need for costly external re-timer circuitry through market leading transceiver jitter performance.
Xilinx has validated Virtex-6 HXT FPGAs interoperability with industry leading optical transceiver suppliers including Avago Technologies. "Avago Technologies is pleased to offer optical transceivers compatible with Virtex-6 FPGAs for standards including 10Gbps and 40Gbps Ethernet," said Victor Krutul, Director of Marketing, Fiber Optics Product Division at Avago. "With over 30 years of experience in optical interconnects as part of HP and Agilent, Avago is uniquely able to help FPGA designers make the move from copper to fiber optic interconnects as connection speeds move to 10 Gbps and beyond."
Xilinx Virtex-6 HXT devices seamlessly interface to industry standard SFP+, XFP, and CFP optical modules at line rates up to 11.18Gbps addressing next generation optical transport application needs. Furthermore, through superior jitter performance - sub 500 fs rms random jitter at 11.18Gbps - and signal integrity, the need for external conditioning circuitry is eliminated. The superior jitter performance provides the system designer the margin required to build robust high speed interfaces. To see a demo of the Virtex-6 HXT device operating at 10Gbps, please visit http://www.xilinx.com/virtex6hxt.
"As the communications network infrastructure moves towards 40Gbps and 100Gbps port rates, the need for high performance optical jitter compliant transceivers is a critical component for success," said Krishna Rangasayee, Corporate Vice President and General Manager of Xilinx's Communications Business Unit. "Xilinx's Virtex-6 HXT device meets those optical standards and requirements while offering the flexibility and customization only available in a programmable logic device."
Virtex-6 HXT Devices Features
Optimized for applications that require ultra high-speed serial connectivity, Virtex-6 HXT FPGAs offer the industry's highest serial bandwidth through a combination of 6.6Gbps GTX transceivers and 11.18Gbps GTH transceivers to enable next-generation packet and transport, switch fabric, video switching, and imaging equipment. To enable these applications, Virtex-6 HXT devices also feature:
- A ground up design that is optimized for 10G signaling - including Transmit (Tx) pre-emphasis, Receive (Rx) linear equalization and Decision Feedback Equalizer (DFE) to meet the tough jitter requirements.
- Lower jitter with superior DFE and EQ circuits, higher total transceiver count, more BRAM and highest number of SERDES capabilities.
- Design topology that isolates the high performance analog circuits from the noisy digital logic and IO providing superior noise performance.
- A ground up package design with all serial pins isolated from parallel IO, in-package power planes and capacitors, and a sparse-chevron pinout resulting in 40 dB of isolation between Tx and Rx and 30dB of isolation between channels.
- Overall Virtex-6 HXT device performance enables the designer to interface to optical modules directly without the need for external re-timers, thereby saving on bill-of-materials cost, power dissipation and board real estate.
About the Virtex-6 Family
Built on 40nm process using third-generation Xilinx ASMBL(TM) architecture, the Virtex-6 FPGA family is supported by a new generation of development tools and a vast library of IP to ensure productive development and design migration. Providing 15% higher performance and 50% lower system power consumption compared to competitive 40nm FPGA offerings, the devices operate on a 1.0v core voltage with an available 0.9v low-power option.
Pricing and Availability
Virtex-6 HXT FPGAs are shipping today and customers can start their designs immediately with the ISE(R) Design Suite version 12.3. For more information, please visit http://www.xilinx.com/tools/designtools.htm. Detailed pricing information for Virtex-6 HXT FPGAs is available through Xilinx sales offices and distributors. For more information, please visit http://www.xilinx.com/virtex6hxt.
Xilinx is the worldwide leader in complete programmable logic solutions. For more information, visit http://www.xilinx.com/.