Texas Instruments' new AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU, a certified single-chip PROFIBUS solution, reduces power consumption and cost by up to 30 percent for industrial applications
TI demonstrates commitment to industrial market and joins PROFIBUS International (PI) and gains certification of PROFIBUS slave implementation
Nuremberg -- November 25, 2010 – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:TXN) today announced its AM1810 Sitara™ ARM microprocessor (MPU), a new single-chip ARM9™ solution with an integrated PROFIBUS interface, the worlds’ most popular fieldbus used for communications between factory automation equipment. This integrated, low-power device eliminates the need for an external PROFIBUS, ASIC or FPGA, which saves development time and cost while improving system performance. The AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU has ample performance to support implementation of industrial applications, whether or not the applications require a PROFIBUS. Examples of industrial applications well-suited for the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU include a programmable logic controller (PLC) or human machine interface (HMI). TI also announced its membership into the PROFIBUS International (PI). By joining PI, TI affirmed its commitment to the industrial market by providing a certified, integrated solution to help make development easier and improve costs for industrial designers.
Compared to multi-chip solutions on the market today, the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU connects the PROFIBUS interface directly to the RS-485 transceiver, eliminating the need for an ASIC or FPGA.
Customers can also design smaller enclosures and housings with easier thermal designs for their PROFIBUS-based products due to the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU’s low power architecture. The combination of removing the FPGA or the ASIC, reducing board space and introducing a simpler thermal design, results in bill of materials (BOM) savings of up to 30 percent.
The PROFIBUS real-time frame handler, called the Fieldbus Data Link (FDL), is implemented utilizing the Programmable Real-Time Unit (PRU), which is part of the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU on-chip peripherals. The PRU is tightly coupled with the ARM processor through the on-chip system bus, yielding shorter control cycle time and increased system response time – running up to 12 MBaud PROFIBUS decentralized peripherals (DP) communication. Multiple memory options allow customers to run a PROFIBUS node without external memory, booting through serial flash and running PROFIBUS on internal RAM. The solution also has an operating system abstraction layer, which makes the PROFIBUS DP protocol stack independent of the operating system, allowing complete design flexibility.
Pre-certified silicon and stack software with PROFIBUS Certification
The TI PROFIBUS DP slave implementation earned the PI certification through ComDeC, a PROFIBUS Certification Lab hosted by Siemens AG. This particular certification was earned on the PROFIBUS interface on TI’s AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU, which allows industrial designers and developers to design with confidence that they are meeting industrial standards.
“In the industrial space, the PROFIBUS standard is synonymous with reliable networking, and with this certification, TI is giving a higher assurance that our product is a quality alternative to existing solutions,” said Ram Sathappan, industrial end equipments manager, Texas Instruments Inc. “We are very excited to be a member of PI and introduce our certified AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU PROFIBUS solution to the industrial market. Our aim is to help our customers reduce BOM costs, PCB space and design time. We are confident that TI’s one chip solution, the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU with PROFIBUS, will do just that.”
In addition to the PROFIBUS interface, the AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU supports EtherCAT® Master protocol on the integrated Ethernet port. This allows industrial designers to develop products with multi-protocol support.
Key features and benefits
|Key Feature||Customer Benefit|
|ARM9 Microprocessor with integrated PROFIBUS communication functionality (AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU)||- Provides integrated support for PROFIBUS communications in an applications processor|
- Offers lower power allowing for small enclosures with no vents
- Simplifies system design and lowers cost because of application processor integration with PROFIBUS communication interface eliminating the need for a dedicated PROFIBUS ASIC chip
|Certified by PROFIBUS International certification lab|| |
Offers certification for passing interoperability testing by PROFIBUS International organization, which allows developers to design with confidence that they are meeting industrial standards
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet MAC
Enables support for Ethernet based industrial protocols like EtherCAT Master to allow industrial designers to develop products with multiple protocol support
375 MHz performance ARM9 RISC core
Enables implementation of industrial applications such as a PLC or HMI, along with a PROFIBUS interface at low power (less than 1mW per MHz of ARM frequency) to reduce temperature and eliminate the need for the fan and heat sink
Industrial grade with long product life cycle
Supports industrial temperature range to meet design needs for industrial applications requiring 10 years or more use in the field
Tools and Support
TI provides full design data for its AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU PROFIBUS evaluation module, along with the software and tools needed to develop end products
Pricing, software, tools and availability
Customers can start developing their designs today with the TMDXEVM1810 evaluation module (EVM) for $995. The software development kit includes a Linux kernel 2.6.33 board support package, as well as Windows® Embedded CE, PRU configuration tool, PRU CAN, PRU UART and touch screen demo. In addition to the EVM, TI Design House partner, Critical Link LLC, has a production-quality industrial ETX standards based development board with AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU priced at $749 that includes the Real Time Linux kernel board support package with the PROFIBUS demonstration and evaluation software.
The AM1810 Sitara ARM MPU with PROFIBUS is available for sampling and priced at USD $9.95 in 1,000 unit quantities (1ku) from TI and TI authorized dealers.
Find out more about TI’s Industrial portfolio at the links below:
- Industrial Automation: http://www.ti.com/am1810prlp
- ComDeC Certification : www.siemens.com/comdec
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com
About PROFIBUS International
PROFIBUS® International (PI) is the world's leading field bus, with more than 31 million devices installed globally by 1400+ member companies. Described by open standards IEC 61158 and IEC 61784, PROFIBUS is used for applications requiring coordinated motion and safe operation of networked industrial devices. It eliminates point-to-point cabling and reduces complexity, installation and maintenance cost for factory automation, process control, industrial drives, motion control, and safety devices such as emergency stop push buttons.
Search Silicon IP
- A better way to cloud: TI's new KeyStone multicore SoCs revitalize cloud applications, enabling new capabilities and a quantum leap in performance at significantly reduced power consumption
- Xilinx Single-Chip Solution with On-Chip Redundancy for Functional Safety Speeds Up IEC 61508 Certification and Reduces Systems Development Cost
- Atmel Delivers Industry's Lowest Power ARM Cortex-A5-based MPU with Leading Security Features for Industrial IoT and Wearable Applications
- Synopsys' New DesignWare Medium Density NVM IP Family Reduces Die Cost by Up to 25 Percent
- Ambiq Micro's Apollo microcontrollers redefine 'low power' with up to 10x reduction in energy consumption
- Interview: Aart de Geus on AI-driven EDA
- CXL Testing Leverages PCIe Expertise
- Blue Ocean Smart System Unveils Chiplet-Based Products Powered by VeriSilicon's High-Performance Processors
- POLYN Introduces VibroSense, Industry-First Application-Specific Vibration Pre-Processing Chip Design
- Renesas Expands RISC-V Embedded Processing Portfolio with New Voice-Control ASSP Solution
- Veriest Solutions Promotes Dusica Glisic to Vice President of Frontend Engineering
- Synopsys.ai Unveiled as Industry's First Full-Stack, AI-Driven EDA Suite for Chipmakers
- Report: Arm proposes change to IP royalty model
- eMemory and UMC Expand Low-Power Memory Solutions for AIoT and Mobile Markets with 22nm RRAM Qualification
- Mobiveil's PSRAM Controller IP Lets SoC Designers Leverage AP Memory's Xccela x8/x16 250 MHz PSRAM Memory
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|