Key Addition to Broadcom's Home Networking Standards Portfolio
PARIS, Sept. 27, 2011 -- Broadband World Forum (BBWF) --
- Increases in-home network coverage for an easier plug-n-play connected home experience.
- Achieves industry's highest level of integration, energy efficiency and smallest form factor, reducing overall costs and enabling new Powerline form factors.
- Drives adoption of interoperable HomePlug® AV in entertainment, home control and automation, and energy management applications in the next generation connected home.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry's first 40nm single chip monolithic Powerline Communications (PLC) SoC that is HomePlug® AV 1.1 certified and IEEE 1901 compliant. Using existing residential electrical wiring to create a home network, Broadcom's BCM60321 Powerline Networking SoC enables increased in-home network coverage for an easier plug-n-play connected home experience.
- Broadcom's BCM60321 is the industry's first 40nm single chip monolithic HomePlug® AV and IEEE1901 PLC chipset. Functionality includes:
- High Levels of Integration: combining analog and digital front end with line driver, modem and memory in small 9mm 76 pin QFN style package for a true single chip PLC solution.
- HomePlug® AV 1.1 and IEEE 1901 compliant: resides on 200Mbs physical layer.
- Small Form Factor: entire PLC modem design size of 51mm x 38mm is possible.
- Low Power Consumption: modems consume less than 2.5 Watts of power when "on" and less than 0.5W on "standby."
- Intelligent Switching: provides repeating, channel bonding, failover and load balancing for layer-2 in multi-mode home networks.
- Fully Managed Network Functionality; supports remote network management and diagnostics for ISP deployments.
- Broadcom's BCM60321 is HomePlug® AV 1.1 certified and IEEE 1901 compliant for high speed Powerline Communications. HomePlug AV is a technology standard designed to provide a 200 Mbps class powerline network.
- Broadcom is a sponsor member of HomePlug® Powerline Alliance, the organization responsible for establishing powerline standards and testing devices for compliance and interoperability.
Jason Blackwell, Digital Home Practice Director, ABI Research
"The worldwide market has demanded multiple home networking standards for a high performance and easy-to-use network. Powerline Networking offers key advantages including the availability of electric outlets throughout the home, driving increased network coverage and an easier plug-n-play consumer experience."
Greg Fischer, VP & GM, Broadband Carrier Access, Broadcom
"Broadcom's single chip Powerline chipset enhances our strong and diverse home network and broadband access portfolio. It provides our customers with a cost-effective and efficient method to connect multiple devices and deliver multimedia content throughout the home. By supporting the key standards and technologies that fuel video and data sharing throughout the home, Broadcom continues to lead the next connected home revolution."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.