Single and Dual Core Processors with VideoCore® Technology Provide Premium Android Experience
BARCELONA, Feb. 27, 2012 -- Mobile World Congress --
- Family of platforms optimized for Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich' target smartphone buyers in fastest-growing segments
- Highly integrated processors feature single or dual ARM Cortex A9s, 3G modems up to 21 Mbps, and industry leading VideoCore® graphics, HD video, and Image Signal Processing (ISP)
- Advanced connectivity suite includes concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi, multi-constellation (GPS+GLONASS) positioning, NFC and Bluetooth 4.0
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced three smartphone platforms optimized to provide superior native support for the rich and immersive experience of the Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system (OS). Broadcom's new platforms provide powerful graphics, imaging, and application processing capabilities required to deliver the extensive benefits of the new OS. Visit Broadcom @ Mobile World Congress for more news from the show.
Smartphones have become the primary communications and computing devices that consumers use, with ABI Research forecasting that smartphones priced below $299.00 (wholesale) will see cumulative shipments of 3.8 billion units from 2012 to 2017. The enhanced graphical interface, expansive video and imaging capabilities, and rich user experiences of Android 4.0 will help fuel this trend, necessitating platform solutions that effectively balance graphical and image processing, HD video capabilities, and low power consumption for a satisfying smartphone experience.
Broadcom's new family of 3G platforms will enable handset OEMs to affordably deliver a premium Android 4.0 user experience across multiple smartphone product tiers. The Broadcom® BCM21654G features a 1 GHz ARM Cortex A9 processor, an integrated 7.2/5.8 Mbps HSPA modem and low-power VGA video support. The BCM28145 and BCM28155 include dual ARM Cortex A9 cores up to 1.3 GHz, 21/5.8 Mbps HSPA+ modems and HD 720p and 1080p, video respectively. All three chips were developed in an advanced, low power 40 nanometer process technology and are complemented by radio frequency (RF), power management unit (PMU) and an advanced connectivity suite for a complete system solution.
All three platforms are sampling to customers and expected to be in production in the second half of 2012.
- Optimized for Superior Android 4.0 ICS Smartphones:
- Broadcom's industry-leading VideoCore technology offers a 'third processing core' to offload the application processor, enriching the Ice Cream Sandwich user experience with the industry's lowest power HD playback and camcorder capabilities up to 1080p.
- Low latency memory and bus architecture boosts overall system performance for a highly responsive user interface.
- Highest quality imaging is provided by Broadcom's latest Image Signal Processor (ISP) that supports cameras up to 42 megapixels, with very low light capabilities and wide dynamic range for the sharpest images.
- Processor Options:
- BCM28145 and BCM28155:
- Dual ARM Cortex A9 cores at up to 1.3 GHz frequencies with VideoCore offload engine that provides twice the performance at half the power of comparable solutions.
- An integrated HSPA+ release-8, category-14 modem supports 21 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, and Class 33 EDGE support for greater flexibility and worldwide roaming.
- ARM Cortex A9 processing at 1GHz for superior applications processing and advanced user interface support.
- An integrated 3G HSPA modem that supports 7.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, and Class 33 EDGE.
- Advanced Platform Features:
- BCM4334 combo chip provides Bluetooth 4.0 and concurrent dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity that enables simultaneous Internet connectivity and support for advanced features like Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Display.
- BCM47511 GNSS solution supports both GPS and GLONASS constellations for more accurate positioning and faster Time to First Fix (TTFF).
- BCM20792 low-power NFC chip supports multiple secure elements for mobile payments and innovative simplified connectivity applications.
- Multimode, multiband 3G/2G radio and highly efficient power management chips
- Broadcom InConcert® technology minimizes radio interference among the various technologies within the connectivity sub-system for a more satisfying user experience.
- 3G/2G dual-SIM capabilities with lowest overall power in standby and active modes allow consumers to use the same handset for two different phone lines, enabling applications such as access to work and personal cellular calls with one handset.
For more information on Broadcom at Mobile World Congress, please visit Broadcom @ Mobile World Congress, the Broadcom Connected blog and Facebook/Broadcom.
Peter Cooney, Practice Director, Semiconductors at ABI Research
"For tens of millions of people around the world, an Android 4.0 smartphone will be the first computer they own, making accessible to them vast resources and information that will enrich their lives and connect them in new and exciting ways. Advanced graphics and image processing are expected to be at least as important as raw apps processing power in enabling the most satisfying 'Ice Cream Sandwich' user experience in these devices. With its unique VideoCore graphics engine integrated into these new smartphone processors, Broadcom provides a complete solution that is very well suited to enable handsets based on the newest Android operating system."
Nambi Seshadri, Senior Vice President & CTO, Mobile Platform Solution & Wireless Connectivity, Broadcom
"Broadcom's new family of 3G smartphone platforms are optimized to provide all the necessary technologies for products that truly meet the new performance requirements introduced with Android 4.0. Our solutions continue to scale with these new requirements while keeping within the price expectations across smartphone segments. Responsive user interfaces, brilliant graphics and advanced features like Wi-Fi Direct, NFC and Bluetooth low energy are now basic smartphone requirements, regardless of price point, and our new platforms deliver all of these features with affordability that will appeal to consumers around the world."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.