Broadcom's Accelerates Shift from Analog to High Definition TV
PHILADELPHIA, March 12, 2012 -- CableLabs Winter Conference -
- New SoC boosts system performance by 200%
- Mitigates loss of customer HD channels with digital conversion on basic tier
- Achieves low power consumption with standby modes and fast "wake-up" speeds
Broadcom Corporation, a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry's most advanced and easy-to-use 40nm EZ-HD DTA cable system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution. The Broadcom® BCM7574, being demonstrated at the CableLabs Winter Conference, is helping to accelerate the HDTV transition of the remaining 45 million analog TVs in North America that are currently connected to a cable TV service.* For more news from Broadcom, visit our newsroom.
Drawing on four generations of DTA platforms, Broadcom's latest EZ-HD DTA SoC uses superior integration and efficiency to help operators transition directly from analog to all-digital basic HD cable TV services. Top features include:
- Legacy SCTE55 Out-of-band - accelerates the adoption for use on current head-end systems by eliminating lengthy and costly system upgrades.
- 2x System Performance - increased CPU, graphics, video and audio processing enables more advanced DTA user interfaces.
- Ultra Low Power: integrated power management controller lowers system stand-by power to less than 100 milliwatts (mW) and enables DTA systems to reduce average power consumption by up to 65 percent (in a 24 hour period**). Supports proposed Energy Star 4.0 requirements.
- Faster Channel Surfing: Broadcom's FastRTV® fast channel change technology accelerates channel changes and addresses a key barrier for consumers and operators moving to an all-digital TV service.
- Universal HD (uDTA) Security: switchable cardless security for both Cisco and Motorola head-end networks, required by North American cable operators.
- New C.A.L.M. Act Volume Leveling Support: Commercial Advertisement Level Mitigation (CALM) maintains constant volume across commercial, program and channel changes.
- Software: Broadcom's field-proven DTA reference software stack and application accelerates design, qualifications and deployment.
The Broadcom product mentioned above is now shipping.
Dan Marotta, Broadcom EVP & General Manager, Broadband Communications, Broadcom:
"Drawing on five generations of DTA innovation, Broadcom's latest chipset leads the way in integration and efficiency to quickly and easily convert the remaining large base of analog subscribers to digital broadcasting including basic HD programming channels. The migration to HDTV not only will provide much higher quality TV programming and services, but also reclaim precious bandwidth to make way for additional HD channels with higher speed Internet services."
Broadcom Corporation, a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com .
*at the end of 2011; In-Stat Research; 2/12
**assumes 8 hours of watching TV with 16 hours of "ultra low power standby" mode per day