May 16, 2012
What: GSA Releases April 2012 Statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A Update, including:
- In April 2012, venture investment dollars received by semiconductor companies (i.e., fabless companies, integrated device manufacturers (IDMs) and semiconductor suppliers) was $194.2 million; a 901.0% increase month-over-month (MoM) and a 461.3% increase year-over-year (YoY).
- Eight semiconductor companies received funding; a 60.0% increase MoM and a 100.0% increase YoY.
- Of the eight companies that received funding, five were fabless companies and three were suppliers.
- April saw the two highest funding amounts received by semiconductor companies go to Quantenna Communications and Violin Memory Inc.
- On April 27th, Audience Inc. announced the terms for its IPO. The California-based, fabless semiconductor company plans to raise approximately $79.1 million by offering 5.3 million shares at a price range of $14 to $16.
- In April, there were seven total semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) announced (i.e., M&As involving entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities), remaining the same MoM and decreasing by one YoY.
- The largest M&A deal in April occurred when Integrated Device Technology Inc. (IDT) announced the acquisition PLX Technolgy Inc. for $330.0 million.
When: Now available at http://www.gsaglobal.org/publications/fundings/index.asp
The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA) mission is to accelerate the growth and increase the return on invested capital of the global semiconductor industry by fostering a more effective ecosystem through collaboration, integration and innovation. It addresses the challenges within the supply chain including IP, EDA/design, wafer manufacturing, test and packaging to enable industry-wide solutions. Providing a platform for meaningful global collaboration, the Alliance identifies and articulates market opportunities, encourages and supports entrepreneurship, and provides members with comprehensive and unique market intelligence. Members include companies throughout the supply chain representing 30 countries across the globe. www.gsaglobal.org