June 20, 2012
What: GSA Releases May 2012 Statistics from its Global Semiconductor Funding, IPO and M&A Update, including:
- In May 2012, venture investment dollars received by semiconductor companies (i.e., fabless companies, integrated device manufacturers (IDMs) and semiconductor suppliers) was $134.5 million, a 42.5% decrease from April 2012 and a 122.7% increase from May 2011.
- Ten semiconductor companies received funding; an increase of one MoM and two YoY. Of those ten companies, eight were fabless companies and two were suppliers.
- The two highest funding amounts received by semiconductor companies in May went to Aquantia Corporation and Violin Memory Inc.
- $572.9 million was raised by semiconductor companies in the first five months of 2012, an increase of 9.7% from the first five months of 2011.
- On May 9th, Audience Inc. priced above its expected range of $14 to $16 by pricing its IPO at $17 per share, raising $89.6 million.
- In May, there were nine total semiconductor mergers and acquisitions (M&As) announced (i.e., M&As involving entire fabless, IDM and semiconductor supplier companies, not sectors/product lines or foundry facilities); an increase of two MoM and a decrease of nine YoY.
- The largest semiconductor M&A deal announced in May occurred when Microchip Technology Inc. acquired Standard Microsystems Corporation (SMSC) for $939.0 million.
When: Now available at http://www.gsaglobal.org/publications/fundings/index.asp
The Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA) mission is to accelerate the growth and increase the return on invested capital of the global semiconductor industry by fostering a more effective ecosystem through collaboration, integration and innovation. It addresses the challenges within the supply chain including IP, EDA/design, wafer manufacturing, test and packaging to enable industry-wide solutions. Providing a platform for meaningful global collaboration, the Alliance identifies and articulates market opportunities, encourages and supports entrepreneurship, and provides members with comprehensive and unique market intelligence. Members include companies throughout the supply chain representing 30 countries across the globe. www.gsaglobal.org