The TILE-Gx72, with 72 advanced 64-bit cores and over 100 Gbps of networking I/O, delivers the compute for highly integrated products, offering richer services and applications in a standard Linux platform
SAN JOSE, Calif. – February 19, 2013– Tilera®Corporation, the leader in 64-bit manycore general-purpose processors today announced the TILE-Gx72™processor with 72 power-efficient cores coupled with massive I/O and four high-performance DDR3 memory controllers to drive the next-generation of network, multimedia and cloud infrastructure.
Tilera’s customers are building the intelligent infrastructure for tomorrow’s hyper-connected, mobile networks and the amount of real-time data and video content is growing exponentially each year. Substantially more complex services are being offered, and the rapid pace of new feature additions demands a software-based model with familiar, standards-based programming tools. Further, OEMs are insisting on dramatically higher levels of performance and scalability from their processor supplier.
In less than a year from the launch of its market-leading TILE-Gx36™processor, Tilera is doubling the compute performance, doubling the I/O capacity, and continuing the linear scaling of application performance with increasing core-count that is the hallmark of the Tile architecture. The TILE-Gx72 leverages Tilera’s many innovations – including the iMesh™2-dimensional interconnect, DDC™distributed coherent cache, and TileDirect™direct-to-cache I/O – to deliver the highest compute-per-watt efficiency of any multicore processor in its class.
“The TILE-Gx72 rounds out our processor portfolio, complementing our 9, 16 and 36-core TILE-Gx processors and is offering a remarkable range of processing performance,” said Devesh Garg, president and CEO of Tilera. “Customers demand ever-increasing levels of performance and performance-per-watt to stay competitive and they simultaneously want to reuse their software and hardware investments across their product portfolio. The TILE-Gx72 brings an unprecedented amount of compute to customer designs, and leverages thousands of open source libraries and the growing Linux ecosystem.”
The TILE-Gx72 is ideally suited for compute and I/O-intensive applications including:
- L2-7 networking and firewall appliances
- High throughput SDN (Software Defined Network) computing
- Network monitoring and analytics with 100% line-rate packet capture at 100 Gbps
- Layer 7 Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) at over 50 Gbps
- Compute offload NIC (Network Interface Card)
- Intrusion prevention and detection (IPS/IDS) at over 20 Gbps
- “Big Data” transaction processing at over 4 million transactions per second
- Streaming video server/content delivery networking offering 50 Gbps HTTP streaming
- HD video conferencing with dozens of H.264 1080p encode/decode channels
“We continue to be impressed with the scalability of the TILE-Gx family with its seamless software compatibility from 9 cores to 72 cores,” said Ofer Raz, head of platforms and architecture of Check Point Software Technologies. “The TILE-Gx72 processor brings the right mix of compute, low-latency I/O, memory bandwidth, and accelerators for the needs of our intelligent, integrated security appliances.”
“Tilera is raising the bar again with the launch of its flagship Tile-Gx72 processor,” said Linley Gwennap, principal analyst of The Linley Group. “As the first 64-bit, manycore processor to run standard SMP Linux across 72 cores on a single chip and capable of 100Gbps networking, the TILE-Gx72 will enable customers to achieve new levels of performance in multimedia and networking applications.”
TILE-Gx72 Technical Highlights
The TILE-Gx72 is a full System-On-a-Chip (SoC), integrating a broad set of I/O’s and memory controllers to reduce system cost and save on printed circuit board area.
- 72 64-bit processor cores– Powerful three-issue cores, designed for ultra-high power efficiency. Each processor core integrates L1 and L2 caches and supports virtual memory and multiple privilege levels
- iMesh™ two-dimensional multi-tier interconnect– Over 110 Tbps of bandwidth interconnecting cores, caches, I/O devices and DDR3 memory controllers
- 23 Mbytes of on-chip cache– Distributed coherent L3 cache with ECC protection and Tilera’s patented DDC™ technology
- Extensive integrated I/O:
- Eight 10Gbps Ethernet ports, configurable as 32 1Gbps ports
- Six PCI Express ports with 24 lanes of SerDes
- Four on-board DDR3 memory controllers delivering more than 475 Gbps (60 GB/s) of bandwidth and supporting up to 1 TB of attached memory
- mPIPE™ packet processing subsystem– Delivers C-programmable wire-speed packet classification, load-balancing, packet ordering and buffer management for ingress and egress traffic at over 240 million packets-per-second
- More than 40Gbps of crypto acceleration– MiCA™ subsystem supports a wide range of security protocols such as SSL, IPsec, SRTP, MACsec, 3GPP and also accelerates functions such as data deduplication
The TILE-Gx72 devices are available for sampling. Please contact your Tilera representative for information.
The RSA Security Conference
Tilera will display the TILE-Gx72 and the accompanying development system at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco at the Moscone Convention Center, February 25–March 1, 2013 in booth #2751.
Tilera® Corporation is the developer of the highest performance, low power general purpose manycore processors. Tilera is headquartered in San Jose, Calif., with additional locations worldwide. For more information, visit www.tilera.com.