Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2013
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- May 22, 2013 -- Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNPS), a global leader providing software, IP and services used to accelerate innovation in chips and electronic systems, today reported results for its second quarter of fiscal year 2013.
For the second quarter of fiscal year 2013, Synopsys reported revenue of $499.3 million, compared to $432.6 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2012, an increase of 15 percent.
"Synopsys again delivered strong results in Q2, and as a result we are raising our operating cash flow and non-GAAP earnings per share targets for the year," said Aart de Geus, chairman and co-CEO of Synopsys. "The latest silicon technologies offer high value but also great technical challenges. Because of this, more and more customer executives are sharing with us where they are heading and how Synopsys can help them succeed, leading to robust demand and market momentum."
On a generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) basis, net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 was $68.7 million, or $0.44 per share, compared to $21.0 million, or $0.14 per share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012. Net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 included $30.2 million of costs associated with the acquisition of Magma Design Automation.
On a non-GAAP basis, net income for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 was $103.7 million, or $0.66 per share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $78.5 million, or $0.53 per share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
Synopsys also provided its financial targets for the third quarter and full fiscal year 2013. These targets do not include any future acquisition-related expenses that may be incurred in fiscal 2013. These targets constitute forward-looking information and are based on current expectations. For a discussion of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from these targets, see "Forward-Looking Statements" below.
Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2013 Targets:
- Revenue: $475 million - $485 million
- GAAP expenses: $411 million - $428 million
- Non-GAAP expenses: $365 million - $375 million
- Other income and expense: ($1) million - $1 million
- Tax rate applied in non-GAAP net income calculations: 24-25 percent
- Fully diluted outstanding shares: 155 million - 159 million
- GAAP earnings per share: $0.28 - $0.34
- Non-GAAP earnings per share: $0.53 - $0.55
- Revenue from backlog: approximately 90 percent
Full Fiscal Year 2013 Targets:
- Revenue: $1.955 billion - $1.975 billion
- Other income and expense: $5 - $9 million
- Tax rate applied in non-GAAP net income calculations: approximately 23 percent
- Fully diluted outstanding shares: 155 million - 159 million
- GAAP earnings per share: $1.48 - $1.56
- Non-GAAP earnings per share: $2.37 - $2.42
- Cash flow from operations: $375 million - $400 million
Synopsys continues to provide all information required in accordance with GAAP, but believes evaluating its ongoing operating results may not be as useful if an investor is limited to reviewing only GAAP financial measures. Accordingly, Synopsys presents non-GAAP financial measures in reporting its financial results to provide investors with an additional tool to evaluate Synopsys' operating results in a manner that focuses on what Synopsys believes to be its ongoing business operations and what Synopsys uses to evaluate its ongoing operations and for internal planning and forecasting purposes. Synopsys' management does not itself, nor does it suggest that investors should, consider such non-GAAP financial measures in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. Synopsys' management believes it is useful for itself and investors to review, as applicable, both GAAP information that includes: (i) the amortization of acquired intangible assets, (ii) the impact of stock compensation, (iii) acquisition-related costs, including inventory fair value adjustments, (iv) other significant items, including facilities restructuring, and (v) the income tax effect of non-GAAP pre-tax adjustments as well as unusual or infrequent tax adjustments; and the non-GAAP measures that exclude such information in order to assess the performance of Synopsys' business and for planning and forecasting in subsequent periods. Whenever Synopsys uses a non-GAAP financial measure, it provides a reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measure to the most closely applicable GAAP financial measure. Investors are encouraged to review the related GAAP financial measures and the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measure as detailed below.
Reconciliation of Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2013 Results
The following tables reconcile the specific items excluded from GAAP in the calculation of non-GAAP net income and earnings per share for the periods indicated below.
GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliation of Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2013 Results
(Unaudited and in thousands, except per share amounts)
Reconciliation of Target Non-GAAP Operating Results
The following tables reconcile the specific items excluded from GAAP in the calculation of target non-GAAP operating results for the periods indicated below.
GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliation of Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2013 Targets
(in thousands, except per share amounts)
(1) Synopsys' third quarter and fiscal year end on August 3, and November 2, 2013, respectively. For presentation purposes, the periods refer to the closest calendar month end.
To read financial tables, click here
Earnings Call Open to Investors
Synopsys will hold a conference call for financial analysts and investors today at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time. A live webcast of the call will be available at Synopsys' corporate website at www.synopsys.com. A recording of the call will be available by calling +1-800-475-6701 (+1-320-365-3844 for international callers), access code 293128, beginning at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. A webcast replay will also be available on the website from approximately 5:30 p.m. Pacific Time today through the time Synopsys announces its results for the third quarter fiscal 2013 in August 2013. Synopsys will post copies of the prepared remarks of Aart de Geus, chairman and co-chief executive officer, and Brian Beattie, chief financial officer, on its website following the call. In addition, Synopsys makes additional financial information available in a financial supplement also posted on the corporate website.
Effectiveness of Information
The targets included in this release, the statements made during the earnings conference call and the information contained in the financial supplement (available in the Investor Relations section of Synopsys' website at www.synopsys.com) represent Synopsys' expectations and beliefs as of the date of this release only. Although this press release, copies of the prepared remarks of the co-chief executive officer and chief financial officer made during the call and the financial supplement will remain available on Synopsys' website through the date of the third quarter fiscal year 2013 earnings call in August 2013, their continued availability through such date does not mean that Synopsys is reaffirming or confirming their continued validity. Synopsys does not currently intend to report on its progress during the third quarter of fiscal 2013 or comment to analysts or investors on, or otherwise update, the targets given in this earnings release.
Availability of Final Financial Statements
Synopsys will include final financial statements for the second quarter fiscal 2013 in its quarterly report on Form 10-Q to be filed by June 13, 2013.
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNPS) accelerates innovation in the global electronics market. As a leader in electronic design automation (EDA) and semiconductor IP, its software, IP and services help engineers address their design, verification, system and manufacturing challenges. Since 1986, engineers around the world have been using Synopsys technology to design and create billions of chips and systems. Learn more at http://www.synopsys.com.
Search Silicon IP
Search Verification IP
Synopsys, Inc. Hot Verification IP
- Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2023
- Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2022
- Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2021
- Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2020
- Synopsys Posts Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2019
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- intoPIX and PlexusAV Pioneer IPMX Standard-Based AV-over-IP Solutions
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Global Semiconductor Sales Increase 0.3% Month-to-Month in April
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
- Are Chiplets Enough to Save Moore's Law?
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Consortium's Move Will Boost RISC-V Ecosystem, Thankfully
- Agile Analog launches first complete RISC-V analog IP subsystem at RISC-V Summit Europe
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|