Altera Begins Production Shipments of FPGA Industry's Highest Performance SoCs
Density, Architectural, Productivity and Processor Performance Leadership Enable SoCs to Target Widest Range of Applications
San Jose, Calif., September 25, 2013– Altera Corporation today announced production availability of its Cyclone® V SoCs and engineering sample availability of its Arria® V SoCs. With increased processor peak clock frequencies — Cyclone V SoCs at 925 MHz for commercial-grade and 700 MHz for automotive-grade, and Arria V SoCs at 1.05 GHz for industrial-grade — these devices are the FPGA industry’s highest performing SoCs. Altera SoCs provide embedded developers the most robust architecture, highest productivity development tools and broadest range of densities.
“With production shipments beginning, customers will start accruing the SoC’s system benefits as they begin shipping to their own customers,” said Chris Balough, senior director of SoC product marketing at Altera. “Altera’s combination of leadership in SoC architecture, density, performance, and development tools, along with a processor roadmap to 14 nm, is a compelling value proposition for embedded system developers.”
Altera offers the industry’s broadest range of densities with its 28 nm SoCs, ranging from 25K logic elements (LE) up to 460K LE. This density range allows Altera SoCs to be integrated into a variety of embedded systems, ranging from cost-sensitive industrial automation and automotive driver assist systems to applications that require higher-performance, including remote radio units, 10G/40G line cards and broadcast studio equipment. Increasing the core frequency of the dual-core ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore™ processor enables the devices to meet performance requirements of an even greater number of embedded systems.
Altera SoCs combine a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor system with FPGA logic on a single device. Altera SoCs include several distinctive features (32-bit error correction code, a high-bandwidth memory controller with built in memory protection, flexible boot capability and integrated PCI Express® across all SoCs) that enable developers in the wireless communications, industrial, video surveillance, automotive and medical equipment markets to create custom SoC variants optimized for system power, board space, performance and cost requirements.
Altera SoCs are supported by a broad ecosystem of operating systems, design tools, development kits, and software-development solutions from Altera, ARM and third parties that ease the development and use of the devices. The Altera SoC Embedded Design Suite (EDS) allows embedded developers to jumpstart their firmware and application software development by offering a comprehensive tool suite that includes development tools, utility programs, run-time software and application examples. At the heart of the SoC EDS is the exclusive ARM Development Studio™ 5 (DS-5™) Altera Edition Toolkit. This toolkit combines the ARM DS-5 advanced multicore debugging capabilities with FPGA-adaptivity for unprecedented full-chip debugging visibility and control.
Cyclone V SoCs are shipping today in production in 85K LE and 110K LE densities and are available with all three transceiver option variants (SE, SX and ST). Cyclone V SoCs offer a single- or dual-processor core option that operates at a core clock frequency of up to 925 MHz in a C6 speed grade. An automotive-grade Cyclone V SoC operating with a core clock frequency of 700 MHz is also available. These devices are perfectly suited for high-temperature environments such as automotive driver assist, infotainment and e-vehicle.
The largest Arria V SoC with 460K LE is currently shipping engineering samples. The Arria V SoC features a dual-core processor which operates at a core clock frequency of up to 1.05 GHz in an I3 speed grade. For more information about Altera SoCs visit www.altera.com/soc.
Altera® programmable solutions enable designers of electronic systems to rapidly and cost effectively innovate, differentiate and win in their markets. Altera offers FPGAs, SoCs, CPLDs, ASICs and complementary technologies, such as power management, to provide high-value solutions to customers worldwide.
Search Silicon IP
Intel FPGA Hot IP
- Altera Demonstrates Industry's Highest Performance DDR4 Memory Data Rates in an FPGA
- Mobiveil Targets Altera's Arria V SoCs for Its NVMStor Enterprise SSD Storage Platform
- Altera Customers Achieve Industry Milestone - Realizing 2X Core Performance Gain with Stratix 10 FPGAs and SoCs
- Altera Cyclone V GT FPGA Is Industry's First Low-Power FPGA to Achieve Compliance for PCIe Gen2 at 5 Gbps
- Altera's Stratix V FPGAs Break Through Performance Barriers with Industry's First Single-Chip, Dual 100G Transponder
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Company purchases Interlaken IP core from Comcores
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|