SAN JOSE, Calif. -- October 18, 2013 -- The EDA Consortium (EDAC) Market Statistics Service (MSS) today announced that the Electronic Design Automation (EDA) industry revenue increased 3.8 percent for Q2 2013 to $1653.4 million, compared to $1593.0 million in Q2 2012. Sequential EDA revenue for Q2 2013 decreased 0.9 percent compared to Q1 2013, while the four-quarters moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, increased by 5.3 percent. The total revenue for the most recent 4 quarters (Q3 2012 through Q2 2013) was $6720.9 Million.
“EDA industry revenue continued to grow in Q2 2013,” said Walden C. Rhines, board sponsor for the EDAC MSS and chairman and CEO of Mentor Graphics. “IC Physical Design and Verification was especially strong in Q2, with PCB & MCM, SIP, and services also increasing. Geographically, the Asia Pacific region again reported double digit growth, with the Americas and Europe/Middle East/Africa regions also positive.”
Companies that were tracked employed 29,304 professionals in Q2 2013, an increase of 3.9 percent compared to the 28,205 people employed in Q2 2012, but down 0.2 percent compared to Q1 2013.
The complete MSS report, containing detailed revenue information broken out by both categories and geographic regions, is available via subscription from the EDA Consortium.
Revenue by Product Category
- The largest category, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of $611.1 million in Q2 2013, which represents a 1.2 percent decrease compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average for CAE increased 5.6 percent.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue increased to $376.0 million in Q2 2013, a 14.7 percent increase compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average decreased 0.4 percent.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue of $148.3 million represents an increase of 5.2 percent compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average for PCB & MCM increased 10.0 percent.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $432.0 million in Q2 2013, a 2.7 percent increase compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average increased 8.4 percent.
- Services revenue was $86.1 million in Q2 2013, an increase of 1.2 percent compared to Q2 2012. The fourquarters moving average increased 4.9 percent.
Revenue by Region
- The Americas, EDA’s largest region, purchased $714.4 million of EDA products and services in Q2 2013, an increase of 1.0 percent compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average for the Americas increased 3.5 percent.
- Revenue in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) was up 7.4 percent in Q2 2013 compared to Q2 2012 on revenues of $280.5 million. The EMEA four-quarters moving average increased 6.1 percent.
- Second quarter 2013 revenue from Japan decreased 12.3 percent to $226.7 million compared to Q2 2012. The four-quarters moving average for Japan decreased 3.4 percent.
- The Asia/Pacific (APAC) region revenue increased to $431.9 million in Q2 2013, an increase of 18.0 percent compared to the second quarter of 2012. The four-quarters moving average increased 14.4 percent.
About the MSS Report
The EDA Consortium Market Statistics Service reports EDA industry revenue data quarterly and is available to EDAC members. Both public and private companies contribute data to the report. Each quarterly report is published approximately three months after quarter close. MSS report data is segmented as follows: revenue type (product licenses and maintenance, services, and SIP), application (CAE, PCB/MCM Layout, and IC Physical Design & Verification), and region (the Americas, Europe Middle East and Africa, Japan, and Asia Pacific), with many subcategories of detail provided. The report also tracks total employment of the reporting companies.
About the EDA Consortium
The EDA Consortium is the international association of companies that provide design tools and services that enable engineers to create the world’s electronic products used for communications, computer, space technology, medical, automotive, industrial equipment, and consumer electronics markets among others. For more information about the EDA Consortium, visit www.edac.org, or to subscribe to the Market Statistics Service, call 408-287-3322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.