NXP Semiconductors and Datang Telecom to Establish First True Chinese Automotive Semiconductor Company
Joint Venture takes Leadership Position in Chinese fast-growing automotive market
Eindhoven, Netherlands and Beijing, China, December 2, 2013 - NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) and DATANG TELECOM TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD (SSE: 600198) today announced the establishment of a joint venture (JV), the first true automotive semiconductor company in China. The JV will focus on developing and marketing semiconductor solutions for the domestic hybrid and electric car market, a top priority in the latest five-year plan of the Chinese government. Teaming up in this JV are two strong industry partners: NXP is the largest automotive semiconductors supplier for China (source: Strategy Analytics, April 2013), while DATANG TELECOM is a state-owned multinational high-tech enterprise headquartered in Beijing, China. The JV is subject to relevant Chinese authorities’ approval.
The new company – Datang NXP Semiconductors Co., Ltd. - will be headquartered in Nantong, China, close to Shanghai. It will be a fabless company that primarily serves the domestic Chinese market, focusing on the research, development and sale of advanced application specific automotive ICs in High Performance Mixed Signal technology. NXP will transfer and license certain intellectual property rights to the JV, specifically in power management including battery management. NXP will hold a 49% share in the JV, with Datang Telecom representing 51%. The JV will strengthen the ties of NXP and Datang Telecom with political decision makers and emerging local customers and partners.
Kurt Sievers, executive vice president and general manager of the automotive business at NXP Semiconductors, explains: “China continues to be the fastest growing automotive market in the world where NXP holds already today the number one position. This Joint Venture offers outstanding opportunities for NXP to further accelerate our business growth. We will greatly benefit from Datang Telecom’s government and industry networks in China. The JV will focus on new energy vehicle technologies, one of the top priorities in China’s five-year government plan and a perfect complement to NXP’s portfolio of semiconductor solutions for the smart connected car. Altogether, Datang NXP Semiconductors ideally combines the expertise of both companies to provide high-quality, competitive products that perfectly match the emerging needs of the Chinese automotive industry.”
“Driven by strong government support, new energy technologies for the hybrid and electric car market industries in China are set to achieve strong growth. Design of integrated circuits is one of the company’s core businesses. With this investment we can now reach into the growing automotive semiconductor market in China and offer customers premier products and services through enhanced design capability”, commented Mr. Cao Bin, President of Datang Telecom Technology CO., Ltd.
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) creates solutions that enable secure connections for a smarter world. Building on its expertise in High Performance Mixed Signal electronics, NXP is driving innovation in the automotive, identification and mobile industries, and in application areas including wireless infrastructure, lighting, healthcare, industrial, consumer tech and computing. NXP has operations in more than 25 countries, and posted revenue of $4.36 billion in 2012. Find out more at www.nxp.com.
About Datang Telecom
Datang Telecom Technology CO., Ltd. (SSE:600198) is a high-tech enterprise and CATT (China Academy Telecommunication Technology) is the majority shareholder. With the core competence of domestic leading product and service portfolio ranging from integrated circuit design, software and application, as well as terminal design and mobile telecommunications, Datang Telecom provides total solutions and services toward government, telecommunication operators, enterprises and consumers and is dedicated to becoming a leading solution and service provider for sub industries . Find out more at www.datang.com.
Search Silicon IP
NXP Hot IP
- NXP and Chinese Private Equity firm JianGuang Asset Management to Establish Semiconductor Joint Venture
- NXP + Freescale Merger Set To Create Leading Vendor of Automotive Semiconductors in 2015; Renesas Was The Largest Vendor in 2014
- Renesas Maintains Position as Leading Vendor of OE Automotive Semiconductors, but Infineon Closes Owing to Weakened Yen
- NXP Semiconductors and IPextreme Launch Ground-breaking Methodology for Semiconductor IP Design
- NXP and TSMC to Deliver Industry's First Automotive 16 nm FinFET Embedded MRAM
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Company purchases Interlaken IP core from Comcores
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|