SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 6, 2014 -- The EDA Consortium (EDAC) Market Statistics Service (MSS) today announced that the Electronic Design Automation (EDA) industry revenue increased 6.3 percent for Q2 2014 to $1757.9 million, compared to $1653.4 million in Q2 2013. Sequential EDA revenue for Q2 2014 increased 0.7 percent compared to Q1 2014, while the four-quarters moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, increased by 5.8 percent.
"Double-digit increases in PCB/MCM and Semiconductor IP led the way to an overall increase in industry revenue for Q2," said Walden C. Rhines, board sponsor for the EDAC MSS and chairman and CEO of Mentor Graphics. "Geographically, all regions except Japan had solid revenue increases."
Companies that were tracked employed 31,259 professionals in Q2 2014, an increase of 6.7 percent compared to the 29,304 people employed in Q2 2013, and up 2.7 percent compared to Q1, 2014.
The complete quarterly MSS report, containing detailed revenue information broken out by both categories and geographic regions, is available to members of the EDA Consortium.
Revenue by Product Category
- The largest category, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of $599.7 million in Q2 2014, which represents a 1.9 percent decrease compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average for CAE increased 2.7 percent.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue decreased to $357.9 million in Q2 2014, a 4.8 percent decrease compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 2.4 percent.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue of $178.4 million for Q2 2014 represents an increase of 20.3 percent compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average for PCB & MCM increased 9 percent.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $532 million in Q2 2014, a 23.2 percent increase compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 12.3 percent.
- Services revenue was $89.9 million in Q2 2014, an increase of 4.3 percent compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 3.8 percent.
Revenue by Region
- The Americas, EDA's largest region, purchased $794.4 million of EDA products and services in Q2 2014, an increase of 11.2 percent compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average for the Americas increased 8.3 percent.
- Revenue in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) was up 3.5 percent in Q2 2014 compared to Q2 2013 on revenues of $290.4 million. The EMEA four-quarters moving average increased 4 percent.
- Second quarter 2014 revenue from Japan decreased 16.6 percent to $189.2 million compared to Q2 2013. The four-quarters moving average for Japan decreased 11.1 percent.
The Asia/Pacific (APAC) region revenue increased to $484 million in Q2 2014, an increase of 12.1 percent compared to the second quarter of 2013. The four-quarters moving average increased 13 percent.
The complete MSS report, available to the EDA Consortium members, contains additional detail for countries in the Asia/Pacific region.
About the MSS Report
The EDA Consortium Market Statistics Service reports EDA industry revenue data quarterly and is available to EDAC members. Both public and private companies contribute data to the report. Each quarterly report is published approximately three months after quarter close. MSS report data is segmented as follows: revenue type (product licenses and maintenance, services, and SIP), application (CAE, PCB/MCM Layout, and IC Physical Design & Verification), and region (the Americas, Europe Middle East and Africa, Japan, and Asia Pacific), with many subcategories of detail provided. The report also tracks total employment of the reporting companies.
About the EDA Consortium
The EDA Consortium is the international association of companies that provide design tools and services that enable engineers to create the world's electronic products used for communications, computer, space technology, medical, automotive, industrial equipment, and consumer electronics markets among others. For more information about the EDA Consortium, visit www.edac.org, or to subscribe to the Market Statistics Service, call 408-287-3322 or email email@example.com.