Demos Include New FPGA Channelizer with JESD204B, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Back-projection, and an Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) Algorithm in an FPGA SoC
San Jose, Calif., —May 8, 2015—Altera Corporation (NASDAQ: ALTR) is demonstrating its military radar systems solutions at the IEEE International Radar Conference 2015 (RadarCon) being held in Arlington, Virginia, at the Crystal Gateway Marriott, May 10 – 15, 2015. Of particular note, Altera is highlighting its ultra-wideband channelizer with JESD204B interface with a signal generator, for the first time at RadarCon. Altera is also demonstrating its radar reference designs, and the company’s full portfolio of FPGA, SoC, Enpirion® power solutions, and software tools that support radar system design.
Demonstrations include the following:
- Ultra-wideband FPGA channelizer with JESD204B interface feeding into a multi-GSPS (Giga-samples per second) analog-to-digital converter (ADC)
- Extended Kalman filter (EKF) algorithm implemented in an FPGA SoC for target tracking, navigation systems, adaptive control, and many other dynamic systems
- Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) back-projection algorithm for image formation
- Time-delay digital-beam-forming algorithm that provides significant advantages compared to analog beam forming, including multiple simultaneous beams, instantaneous wide-bandwidth, and element-level configurability
- Space-time adaptive processing (STAP), a signal processing technique to achieve order-of-magnitude sensitivity improvements in target detection
Many of these functions can be implemented in Altera Arria® 10 FPGAs, the only programmable logic devices in the industry to include hardened floating point IEEE 754 DSP (digital signal processing) blocks, offering re-configurability and all of the advantages of DSP for each antenna element.
Technical Presentations from Altera
Altera is presenting two sessions:
- Hybrid Implementation of Extended Kalman Filter on an FPGA, as part of the poster session, being held May 12 from 2:40-3:20 pm in Salon 3/4.
- Efficient Global Back-Projection on FPGA, on May 14, as part of the Radar Hardware Applications session being held from 10:20-12:00 pm in Salon 5
Altera in Military and Government
Aerospace and military designers face a long list of challenges, including the need for high performance, a broad operating envelope, and a long system life, as well as the added constraints of limited system size and power budgets. Altera FPGAs enable designers to meet the requirements of the aerospace and military markets by supplying enhanced off-the-shelf FPGAs.
Altera® programmable solutions enable designers of electronic systems to rapidly and cost effectively innovate, differentiate and win in their markets. Altera offers FPGA, SoC, CPLD, and complementary technologies, such as power solutions to provide high-value solutions to customers worldwide. Visit Altera at www.altera.com.