Avago/Broadcom Create Patent Powerhouse
Rana J. Pratap, EETimes
6/8/2015 07:00 AM EDT
With their proposed $37 billion merger, Broadcom Corp. will strengthen Avago Technologies' patent position significantly in sectors such as mobile, the data center and the Internet of Things.
Avago’s own patent portfolio is small, with around 5,000 patents and patent applications. But when combined with patents and applications assigned to its recent acquisitions such as LSI, PLX, Emulex, CyOptics, and Infineon, the number of patents in its portfolio rises significantly to 20,304. However, this is still slightly less than the 20,689 patent and applications Broadcom has in its portfolio. Together the merged company is among the top ten semiconductor vendors who have the largest patent portfolios, according to an analysis by our team at LexInnova.
LSI Corp. and Broadcom are major players in data center and server technology domains. The merger will result in the new Broadcom surging ahead of many leading players in these domains, such as Qualcomm and ARM. Specifically, Broadcom has a large number of patents and applications in the domains of power management, control units, and memory controllers, which will benefit the merged company.
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|
Search Silicon IP
- Flex Logix Co-Founders Awarded Interconnect Patent For Connecting Any Kind Of RAM Between eFPGA Cores To Create Application-Optimized eFPGA Arrays
- Flex Logix Co-Founder Cheng Wang Awarded Interconnect Patent For Tiling of eFPGA Cores to Create Wide Range of Larger eFPGA Arrays
- Avago Technologies to Acquire Broadcom for $37 Billion
- Avago, Broadcom Combo Praised
- ItoM Successfully Concludes Patent Litigation With Qualcomm, Broadcom, and Others
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Company purchases Interlaken IP core from Comcores
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France