GLOBALFOUNDRIES and Catena Partner to Provide Next-Generation RF Connectivity Solutions for Growing Wireless Markets
Catena Wi-Fi and Bluetooth RF technologies available on GLOBALFOUNDRIES 28nm Super Low Power Process technology
Paris, France, September 4 -- GLOBALFOUNDRIES, a leading provider of advanced semiconductor manufacturing technology, today announced it has partnered with Catena, a leader in Radio Frequency (RF) Communication IPs for connectivity, to offer complete Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® solutions for System-on-Chip (SoC) designers targeting mobile, Internet-of-Things (IoT), RF connectivity markets.
Today, designers need an optimized, highly integrated wireless connectivity solution to satisfy the ever-increasing low-power and cost requirements of mobile platforms, wearables and other IoT devices. GLOBALFOUNDRIES market-leading 28nm Super Low Power (SLP) technology with integrated RF, combined with Catena’s silicon-proven RF IPs offer a power- efficient, cost-optimized solution that provides on-chip features that can be easily integrated into customer applications.
“We are delighted to partner with GLOBALFOUNDRIES for the development of Catena´s next generation connectivity solutions,” says Mats Carlsson, Director for Business Development at Catena. “This partnership gives Catena access to advanced technology nodes supporting our comprehensive technology roadmap for Wi-Fi and BT connectivity. A close cooperation with leading foundries such as GLOBALFOUNDRIES together with the latest innovations from Catena offers our customers new levels of product performance, reliability and scalability, and it enables us to push the envelope of integrated RF Front-End innovation. The validation results of Catena´s first 28nm-SLP silicon for RF applications correlate well with simulations.”
“Catena’s IP skills and competencies in wireless RF mixed signal technologies, coupled with GLOBALFOUNDRIES RF solution enables us to further strengthen our leadership in wireless connectivity and connected devices,” said Peter Rabbeni, director of RF product marketing and business development at GLOBALFOUNDRIES. “With customer silicon content increasing with each new generation of smartphone the demand for these chips is rapidly increasing. Partnering with Catena enables us to expand our expertise and capabilities and provide radio power solutions for highly integrated mobile applications.”
Based on GLOBALFOUNDRIES' 28nm-SLP technology with HKMG, the process technology includes a comprehensive set of design capabilities enabling chip designers to integrate critical RF SoC functionality into their products. The technology is designed for the next generation of connected devices that require low standby power and long battery life integrated with RF/wireless functionality. The technology is enabled with key RF features, including core and I/O (1.5V/1.8V) transistor RF models along with 5V LDMOS devices, which simplifies RF SoC design.
Catena's Connectivity RF IP portfolio includes optimized, very low power Bluetooth Smart radio, Bluetooth Smart Ready radio, Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac 1x1, 2x2 and 4x4 MIMO) radios and combo Bluetooth / Wi-Fi radio. The radio IPs are available/under development at GLOBALFOUNDRIES 28nm-SLP technology, and may be ported to alternatives based on customer requirements. Solutions for GNSS/FM broadcast systems are also found in the offerings of Catena.
GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ 28nm-SLP technology is the first in the industry to provide design enablement support optimized to meet low power and cost requirements of integrated RF SoCs. The technology utilizes the companies’ production-proven, 28nm-SLP silicon-validated design flows, which include a complete set of libraries, compilers, and complex IP.
Since its establishment in 1986, Catena is recognized as the partner of choice for global IC makers in designing wireless connectivity and sensor electronics system solutions created by world-class RF, signal processing and system architecture experts. Catena is providing full custom IC developments as well as complete System IP for various applications, enabling its customer's fast time to market. The developments are mainly one chip solutions including RF, Analog, Mixed Signal, Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Cores, Embedded Software and tooling. For further information please visit www.catena.nl.
GLOBALFOUNDRIES is the world’s first full-service semiconductor foundry with a truly global footprint. Launched in March 2009, the company has quickly achieved scale as one of the largest foundries in the world, providing a unique combination of advanced technology and manufacturing to more than 250 customers. With operations in Singapore, Germany and the United States, GLOBALFOUNDRIES is the only foundry that offers the flexibility and security of manufacturing centers spanning three continents. The company’s 300mm fabs and 200mm fabs provide the full range of process technologies from mainstream to the leading edge. This global manufacturing footprint is supported by major facilities for research, development and design enablement located near hubs of semiconductor activity in the United States, Europe and Asia. GLOBALFOUNDRIES is owned by the Mubadala Development Company. For more information, visit http://www.globalfoundries.com.
Search Silicon IP
- Quantenna Announces Strategic Partnership with Samsung Electronics to Develop Next-Generation Wireless Products
- Synaptics Launches Industry's First Matter-Compliant Triple Combo SoC with Integrated Wi-Fi 6/6E, Bluetooth 5.2, and 802.15.4/Thread for Seamless IoT Connectivity
- Raytheon Technologies and GLOBALFOUNDRIES Partner to Accelerate 5G Wireless Connectivity
- Imagination announces next-generation IEEE 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 IP for low-power applications
- CEVA Celebrates Wireless IoT Milestone, Surpassing 100 Licensing Deals for its Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Technologies
- Cortus Launches ULYSS automotive MCU family
- Infineon's HYPERRAM™ 3.0 memory and Autotalks' 3rd generation chipset drive next-generation automotive V2X applications
- Q1 2023 Global Semiconductor Equipment Billings Grow 9% Year-Over-Year, SEMI Reports
- Computex 2023 Reveals Taiwan's Critical Role in AI
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Company purchases Interlaken IP core from Comcores
- Green Hills Software adds support for production-ready RTOS and tools to Imagination Technologies' RISC-V CPUs
- Nanusens announces that it can now create ASICs with embedded sensors
- Kalray Announces Production Launch of New "Coolidge™2" DPU Processor Optimized for AI and Intensive Data Processing
- Arm SystemReady surpasses 100 certifications, driving standardization where it matters
- GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics Finalize Agreement for New 300mm Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in France
|E-mail This Article||Printer-Friendly Page|