Offers Optimum Solutions to the Growing Market of Video Transmission Equipment
Yokohama, September 6, 2016 --- Socionext Inc., an emerging leader in advanced SoC technology for video and imaging systems, today announced the release of SC2M15, a new codec IC designed for video transmission equipment. The device can process decoding, transcoding and encoding of H.264/HVC video and audio signals with a single chip, and is suitable for applications including digital broadcasting and video streaming through Internet Protocol among others. Socionext will start volume shipments of the SC2M15 at the end of September.
In addition to the conventional digital broadcasting, new applications such as video distribution through Internet Protocol (IP), infrastructure surveillance and medical imaging are driving the expansion of the video transmission equipment market. Requirements for these kinds of equipment include higher stability and lower overall system cost. To keep pace with such needs, the transition is underway from software-based to hardware-based architectures. Socionext’s new codec IC meets those challenges, providing essential functions such as transcoding of multiple video streams and high image quality encoding at low bit rates.
Developed based on the company's long-time experience on signal processing technology, the SC2M15 is equipped with all the necessary and sufficient functions for video transmission, which includes simultaneous transcoding of three channels of H.264 / full-HD video and audio, high image quality encoding at a low bit rate such as 1080i60 and 2Mbps. In addition, the SC2M15 is designed as a slave-type device, meaning it can be controlled by external CPU through serial interface, giving users the freedom to design various equipment for wide range of applications including digital broadcasting, security systems, and medical imaging, as well as video capture and in-house video communication systems.
Socionext aims to be the world's leading solution provider in the video transmission equipment market, by offering advanced codec products like SC2M15 and related services.
Main specifications of SC2M15 include the following:
- Encoding: H.264 4:2:0 8bit (up to 1080p60, 1080i60)
- Decoding: Multiple channel operation: one input to three output
- H.264 4:2:0 8bit (up to 1080p60, 1080i60)
- MPEG2 4:2:0 8bit (up to 1080p60)
- MPEG2 to H.264,
- H.264 to H.264
- Multiple channel operation: maximum 1080i60 x 3 channels
- Encoding MPEG-2 AAC, HE-AAC and MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2
- Transcoding MPEG-2 AAC, HE-AAC and MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2
- Pass Through* MPEG-2 AAC, HE-AAC and MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2, AC3
- Image Pre-Processing
- OSD overlay*
- Control: UART x 1ch
- Stream: TS-Serial Input x 2ch, Output x 2ch, Ethernet MAC (RGMII ) x 1ch
- Peripheral: USB Storage (2.0 x 1ch, 3.0 x 1ch)
- I2S Input x 1ch, I2S Output x 1ch,
- Video Parallel Input (YCbCr422) x 1ch,
- Video Parallel Output (YCbCr422) x 1ch,
- HDMI-Tx x 1ch
- Memory: (16bit x 2) DDR3 1600Mbps x 2
- Boot Device: NAND Flash ROM
- Package: FC-BGA (35mm x 35mm, 1.0mm-pin pitch)
About Socionext Inc.
Socionext is a new, innovative enterprise that designs, develops and delivers System-on-Chip products to customers worldwide. The company is focused on imaging, networking, computing and other dynamic technologies that drive today’s leading-edge applications. Socionext combines world-class expertise, experience, and an extensive IP portfolio to provide exceptional solutions and ensure a better quality of experience for customers. Founded in 2015, Socionext Inc. is headquartered in Yokohama, and has offices in Japan, Asia, United States and Europe to lead its product development and sales activities. For more information, visit socionext.com.