Government/Military only end-use segment where Asia-Pacific does not have top IC marketshare.
September 15, 2016 -- Asia-Pacific’s grip as the dominant market for IC sales is forecast to strengthen in 2016 with the region expected to account for 61.0% of the $282.0 billion IC market this year, based on analysis published in IC Insights’ mid-year Update to the 2016 IC Market Drivers report. The forecast calls for another small gain in total IC marketshare in 2016 after Asia-Pacific held 57.7% share in 2013, 58.4% in 2014, and 60.5% in 2015. The Asia-Pacific region is particularly dominant with regard to IC marketshare in the communications and computer categories, and to a lesser extent in the consumer and industrial categories (Figure 1). In 2016, IC Insights expects the Asia-Pacific region to surpass Europe and become the largest region for automotive ICs for the first time, as China continues to account for a large and growing portion of new car shipments. That will leave only the Government/Military end use segment where Asia-Pacific does not have top IC marketshare—a condition that is forecast to hold through 2019.
Click to enlarge
IC Insights’ Update to the IC Market Drivers 2016 report forecasts total IC usage by system type through the year 2019. Highlights from the forecast include the following items.
- The Asia-Pacific region is forecast to increase its share of the IC market to 62.3% in 2019, from 61.0% forecast for 2016. Over the same time, North American is also forecast to increase marketshare to 23.8%. Conversely, Europe and Japan are expected to lose IC marketshare through 2019. Japan’s IC marketshare is forecast to slip to 5.5% and Europe is forecast to slide to 8.3% in 2019.
- The two fastest growing end-use markets for ICs through 2019 are forecast to be the automotive and industrial/medical segments, having 2015-2019 CAGRs of 8.0% and 7.1%, respectively. Though having the greatest CAGR through 2019, the automotive IC market is not expected to account for more than 8.0% of total IC sales any time through the forecast period.
- After slumping to only $10.6 billion in 2009, the automotive IC market is forecast to reach nearly 3x that amount ($28.0 billion) in 2019.
- The two largest end-use markets (computer and communications) are forecast to account for 73.7% of the total IC market in 2019, almost the same as the 73.9% share they are forecast to hold in 2016.
- In 2016, analog ICs are forecast to account for the greatest share of IC sales within the automotive (45%) and industrial (50%) segments; logic devices are expected to account for the greatest share of IC sales in communications (41%), consumer (41%), and government/military (32%) applications, and microprocessors are forecast to account for the greatest share (42%) of IC sales in the computer segment.
Report Details: IC Market Drivers 2016
Additional details on regional IC sales by system type are provided in IC Insights’ IC Market Drivers 2016—A Study of Emerging and Major End-Use Applications Fueling Demand for Integrated Circuits. This report examines the largest, existing system opportunities for ICs and evaluates the potential for new applications that are expected to help fuel the market for ICs through the end of this decade.
IC Market Drivers is divided into two parts. Part 1 provides a detailed forecast of the IC industry by system type, by region, and by IC product type through 2019. In Part 2, IC Market Drivers examines and evaluates key existing and emerging end-use applications that will support and propel the IC industry through 2019. Other system application covered include smartphones, personal/mobile computing (including tablets), servers, medical/wearable devices, and a review of many applications to watch—those that may potentially provide significant opportunity for IC suppliers later this decade. IC Market Drivers 2016 is priced at $3,490 for an individual user license and $6,590 for a multi user corporate license.
To review additional information about IC Insights’ new and existing market research reports and services please visit our website: www.icinsights.com.