SHANGHAI, Feb. 14, 2017 -- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) ("SMIC" or the "Company"), one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world, today announced its consolidated results of operations for the three months ended December 31, 2016.
Fourth Quarter 201 6 Highlights
- Revenue was a record high of $814.8 million in 4Q16, an increase of 5.2% QoQ from $774.8 million in 3Q16 and an increase of 33.5% YoY from $610.1 million in 4Q15.
- Gross profit was $246.0 million in 4Q16, compared to $232.1 million in 3Q16 and $173.9 million in 4Q15
- Gross margin was 30.2% in 4Q16, compared to 30.0% in 3Q16 and 28.5% in 4Q15.
- Net profit for the period attributable to SMIC was $104.0 million in 4Q16, as compared to $113.6 million in 3Q16 and $38.6 million in 4Q15.
First Quarter 201 7 Guidance:
The following statements are forward looking statements based on current expectations and involved risks and uncertainties, some of which are set forth under "Safe Harbor Statements" below. The Company expects:
- Revenue to decline by 2% to 4% QoQ.
- Gross margin to range from 25% to 28%.
- Non-GAAP operating expenses, excluding the effect of employee bonus accrual, government funding and gain from the disposal of living quarters, to range from $158 million to $164 million.
- Non-controlling interests of our majority-owned subsidiaries to range from positive $6 million to positive $8 million (losses to be borne by non-controlling interests).
Dr. Tzu-Yin Chiu, SMIC's Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, commented, "We just finished another record year in 2016 with great performance and significant business accomplishments. We recorded historical high revenue of $2.9 billion and annual revenue growth of 30.3% in 2016, outpacing the foundry industry growth rate by almost 3 times. Operating profit reached an all-time high of $339.2 million, representing 12% operating margin. Net margin was a high of 11% and net profit attributable to SMIC reached a record high of $376.6 million. EBITDA surpassed $1 billion for the first time, and we achieved an improved annual ROE of 9.6% from 7.6% in the prior year. In 2016, we successfully acquired LFoundry S.r.l. ("LFoundry", the Company's majority-owned subsidiary in Avezzano, Italy), thus securing a significant foothold in the auto IC market. I am also proud of the team's quick ramp up of our Beijing JV fab and Shenzhen fab, while maintaining high overall utilization of 97.5% last year. In addition, SMIC exemplified productivity improvement with an 8.9% increase in revenue per headcount in 2016 compared to 2015.
We achieved our 8th consecutive quarter of record high revenue: $814.8 million, representing a growth of 33.5% year over year and 5.2% quarter over quarter. Our Q4 gross margin was 30.2% and annualized ROE maintained double digit at 10.1%.
We experienced great demand from 40nm in 2016, and in 2017 we begin to transition some of our 28/40nm flexible capacity towards 28nm. Other growth drivers in 2017 include a more diverse variety of mature technologies.
We reiterate our target of 20% compounded annual growth from 2016 to 2019, and for 2017, we target revenue growth of 20% year over year, gross margin of mid to high-20's% and EBITDA margin of high-30's%.
We have an advantageous position here in China, and we continue to work hard to seize opportunities for the benefit of our stakeholders."
Conference Call / Webcast Announcement
Date: February 15, 2017
Time: 8:30 a.m. Shanghai time
Dial-in numbers and pass code:
- China: +86 400-620-8038 (Pass code: SMIC)
- Hong Kong: +852 3018-6771 (Pass code: SMIC)
- Taiwan: +886 2-2650-7825 (Pass code: SMIC)
- United States, New York: +1 845-675-0437 (Pass code: SMIC)
The call will be webcast live with audio at http://www.smics.com/eng/investors/ir_presentations.php or http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/irxikncv.
An archived version of the webcast, along with an electronic copy of this news release will be available on the SMIC website for a period of 12 months following the webcast.
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation ("SMIC"; NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) is one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world and the largest and most advanced foundry in mainland China. SMIC provides integrated circuit (IC) foundry and technology services on process nodes from 0.35 micron to 28 nanometer. Headquartered in Shanghai, China, SMIC has an international manufacturing and service base. In China, SMIC has a 300mm wafer fabrication facility (fab) and a 200mm fab in Shanghai; a 300mm fab and a majority-owned 300mm fab for advanced nodes in Beijing; 200mm fabs in Tianjin and Shenzhen; and a majority-owned joint-venture 300mm bumping facility in Jiangyin; additionally, in Italy SMIC has a majority-owned 200mm fab. SMIC also has marketing and customer service offices in the U.S., Europe, Japan, and Taiwan, and a representative office in Hong Kong.
For more information, please visit www.smics.com.