March 14, 2017 -- Approximately twenty years ago, ASIC vendors were busy assimilating 0.5mm process capabilities and creating large libraries of functional blocks to be utilized in their Standard Cell product lines. While continual advances on the process side of the semiconductor industry were well documented and even expected, the design side of the product creation equation lagged farther and farther behind process capabilities. The semiconductor market evolved to create the SoC approach as a design methodology used the world over to allow silicon solutions of amazing complexity and functionality while still meeting time to market requirements and cost constraints. A new research report from Semico, System(s)-on-a-Chip: SoC Market Analysis and Forecast, forecasts that the CAGR for SoC revenues will reach 7.7% by 2021, continuing to outpace the larger semiconductor market growth rate.
"The SoC market represents the perfect melding of ingenuity and innovative thinking, producing a new design methodology in the process, that takes advantage of continual advances in process technology and in Electronic Design Automation tools," says Rich Wawrzyniak, Principal Analyst. "These advances are coupled with continually evolving functions as represented by SIP blocks and SIP Subsystems to provide the SoC designer and architect with a toolbox of powerful and continually expanding tools and techniques than allow creation of very complex silicon solutions to meet demanding market requirements."
Key findings of this new research include:
- The Americas market will experience strong growth over the forecast period to reach $32B by 2021
- Total SoC market revenue will experience 7.7% CAGR from 2016 - 2021
- Basic SoCs have the highest CAGR at 11.2% by 2021, strongly driven by IoT applications
- The Chinese market will show the highest unit volume CAGR of 11.9% through 2021
- The total world market for SoCs reached $117.2B in 2016, a 5.1% growth over 2015
Semico Research's new report, System(s)-on-a-Chip: SoC Market Analysis and Forecast, SC104-17, is an extensive analysis of the trends and drivers in the SoC market. It contains 16 tables and 72 figures in 109 pages.
Other data contained in the report:
- Analysis of historic trends that have come together to create the SoC market and a view towards how the future will evolve
- Hard definitions for each of 7 different SoC product types
- Actual revenues for 2000 - 2016 and forecasts for 2017 - 2021 for all SoC product types
- Regional revenue and unit volume market share for N.A., Europe, Japan, China and Asia Pacific
- Unit shipments 2000 - 2021 by application category: Computer, Consumer, Communications, Automotive, Industrial and Military
- ASSP market revenue and unit volumes for 2000 - 2016 and forecast for 2017 - 2021
- Discussion of emerging Metamaterials, list of potential applications and list of different compounds being used
The report includes a Word Document and an accompanying Excel spreadsheet.
Semico is a semiconductor marketing & consulting research company located in Phoenix, Arizona. We offer custom consulting, portfolio packages, individual market research studies and premier industry conferences.