SHANGHAI, Feb. 8, 2018 -- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) ("SMIC", the "Company" or "our"), one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world, today announced its consolidated results of operations for the three months ended December 31, 2017.
Fourth Quarter 2017 Highlights
- Revenue was $787.2 million in 4 Q1 7 , an increase of 2.3% QoQ from $769.7 million in 3 Q1 7 and a decrease of 3.4% YoY from $814.8 million in 4Q16 .
- Gross profit was $148.5 million in 4 Q1 7 , compared to $177.3 million in 3 Q1 7 and $246.0 million in 4Q16.
- Gross margin was 18.9% in 4Q17, compared to 23.0% in 3Q17 and 30.2% in 4Q16.
First Quarter 201 8 Guidance:
The following statements are forward looking statements based on current expectations and involved risks and uncertainties, some of which are set forth under "Safe Harbor Statements" below. The Company expects:
- Revenue to increase by 7% to 9% QoQ, including the forecast to recognize the technology licensing revenue estimated at $150 million.
- Gross margin to range from 25% to 27%.
- Non-GAAP operating expenses, excluding the effect of employee bonus accrual, government funding, gain or loss on the disposal of machinery and equipment and gain from the disposal of living quarters, to range from $212 million to $218 million.
- Non-controlling interests of our majority-owned subsidiaries to range from positive $15 million to positive $17 million (losses to be borne by non-controlling interests).
Dr. Zhao HaiJun and Dr. Liang Mong Song, SMIC's co-Chief Executive Officers commented, "Looking back at 2017, we increased annual revenue 6.4% YoY, in line with the foundry industry growth rate. We also successfully ramped up our 28nm technology portfolio and have seen more than 10% revenue contribution in the fourth quarter of 2017. Meanwhile, we have continued to enrich our technology offerings to diversify our revenue streams; for example, our auto and industrial revenue doubled in 2017 compared to 2016.
SMIC is in transition to align to customers' fast technology migration in today's dynamic foundry environment, and we have great opportunities in front of us as the largest and most advanced foundry in China. At the same time, the overall industry dynamic has become more volatile with increased competition and pricing pressure. However, we are confident in our team's capability to utilize this time to prepare, develop and recalibrate our technology, to create greater value for the future."
Conference Call / Webcast Announcement
Date: February 9, 2018
Time: 8:30 a.m. Beijing time
Dial-in numbers and pass code:
China +86 400-620-8038 (Pass code: SMIC)
Hong Kong +852 3018-6771 (Pass code: SMIC)
Taiwan +886 2-2650-7825 (Pass code: SMIC)
United States, New York +1 845-675-0437 (Pass code: SMIC)
The call will be webcast live with audio at http://www.smics.com/eng/investors/ir_presentations.php or https://edge.media-server.com/m6/p/hnx3rwog.
An archived version of the webcast, along with an electronic copy of this news release will be available on the SMIC website for a period of 12 months following the webcast.
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation ("SMIC"; NYSE: SMI; SEHK: 981) is one of the leading semiconductor foundries in the world and the largest and most advanced foundry in mainland China. SMIC provides integrated circuit (IC) foundry and technology services on process nodes from 0.35 micron to 28 nanometer. Headquartered in Shanghai, China, SMIC has an international manufacturing and service base. In China, SMIC has a 300mm wafer fabrication facility (fab) and a 200mm fab in Shanghai; a 300mm fab and a 200mm fab in Shenzhen; a 300mm fab and a majority-owned 300mm fab for advanced nodes in Beijing; a 200mm fab in Tianjin and a majority-owned joint-venture 300mm bumping facility in Jiangyin; additionally, in Italy SMIC has a majority-owned 200mm fab. SMIC also has marketing and customer service offices in the U.S., Europe, Japan, and Taiwan, and a representative office in Hong Kong.
For more information, please visit www.smics.com.