Jon Peddie Research reports the Q2'2018 GPU shipments
JPR reports, the PC GPU market decreased year-to-year by 4.9%, sequentially GPU shipments decreased 1.5%
August 30, 2018 -- Jon Peddie Research, the industry’s market research firm for the graphics industry, has released its quarterly Market Watch report. This is the latest report from Jon Peddie Research on the GPUs used in PCs. It is reporting on the results of Q2'18 GPU shipments worldwide.
Overall GPU shipments decreased -1.5% from last quarter, AMD decreased -12.3%, Nvidia decreased -7% and Intel, increased 3%. The market share for total GPU shipments in the quarter, compared to last quarter is shown in the following chart.
- AMD’s overall unit shipments decreased -12.28% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments increased 2.62% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased -7.49%.
- The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 135% which was down -4.61% from last quarter.
- Discrete GPUs were in 32.83% of PCs, down -6.28%.
- The overall PC market increased 1.9% quarter-to-quarter and increased 2.04% year-to-year.
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs decreased -27.96% from last quarter.
- Q2'18 saw a no change in tablet shipments from last quarter.
Our findings include discrete and integrated graphics (CPU and chipset) for Desktops, Notebooks (and Netbooks). It does not include iPad and Android-based tablets, or ARM-based servers, or x86-based servers. It does include x86-based tablets, Chromebooks, and embedded systems.
GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market, since a GPU goes into every non-server system before it is shipped, and most of the PC vendors are guiding cautiously for Q2’18 The Gaming PC segment, where higher end GPUs are used, was a bright spot in the market in the quarter.
For those who wish to understand the PC market, an understanding of the highly complex technology and ecosystem that has been built around the GPU is essential to understanding the market’s future directions.
The report contains the following content:
- Worldwide GPU and PC Shipment Volume, 1994 to 2023.
- Detailed worldwide GPU Shipment Volume, 1Q 2001 to date, and forecast to 2023.
- Major suppliers: Detailed market share data on the shipments of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and others.
- Financial results for the leading suppliers: Analysis of the quarterly results of the leading GPU suppliers.
- Market forecasts: You will also be able to download a detailed spreadsheet and supporting charts that project the supplier’s shipments over the period 2001 to 2023. Projections are split into platforms and GPU type.
- GPUs: History, status, and analysis.
- Financial history for the last nine quarters: Based on historic SEC filings, you can see current and historical sales and profit results of the leading suppliers.
- A vision of the future: Built upon a solid foundation of facts, data and sober analysis, this section pulls together all of the report's findings and paints a vivid picture of where the PC graphics market is headed.
Market share for total GPUs for the quarter
Market shares shifted for the big three, and put pressure on the smaller two, market share in shipments as indicated in the Table (units are in millions).
Year-to-year total GPU shipments decreased -4.9%, desktop graphics decreased -6%, notebooks decreased -5%.
The PC market is showing more stabilization, and now seems to have shaken off the gold rush fever of crypto-mining, overall volume slipped, albeit with bright spots for the market here and there.
We can mark Q1’18 as the peak and last hurrah of the crypto-mining fever. Desktop GPUs, which went into mining rigs, have dropped back to their normal volume.
We believe the market for AIBs for crypto-mining has ended and this will likely be our last mention of it.
Tablets too have seen a slowdown from their peak in 2014, and the forecast is that this once PC cannibal has saturated its market and will decline to a replacement status. It will also be in turn cannibalized by the smart new always connected detachable PC tablets.
The second quarter is typically down from the previous quarter in the seasonal cycles of the past. For Q2'18 it decreased -1.5% from last quarter and was below the ten-year average of -2.99%.
- Charts, graphics, tables, and more: Included with this report is an Excel workbook. It contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has the charts and supplemental information.
JPR also publishes a series of reports on the PC Gaming Hardware Market, which covers the total market including system and accessories, and looks at 31 countries. More information can be found here: https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/worldwide-pc-gaming-hardware-market-report-series-total
Pricing and Availability
JPR’s Market Watch is available now in both electronic and hard copy editions, and sells for $2,500. Included with this report is an Excel workbook with the data used to create the charts, the charts themselves, and supplemental information. The annual subscription price for JPR's Market Watch is $5,000 and includes four quarterly issues. Full subscribers to JPR services receive Tech Watch (the company's bi-weekly report) and a copy of Market Watch as part of
Click here to learn more about this major report, or to download it now. Or, for more information, call 415/435-9368 or visit the Jon Peddie Research website at www.jonpeddie.com.
Contact Robert Dow at JPR (Robert@jonpeddie.com) for a free sample of TechWatch.
About Jon Peddie Research
Dr. Jon Peddie has been active in the graphics and multimedia fields for more than 30 years. Jon Peddie Research is a technically oriented multimedia and graphics research and consulting firm. Based in Tiburon, California, JPR provides consulting, research, and other specialized services to technology companies in a variety of fields including graphics development, multimedia for professional applications and consumer electronics, high-end computing, and Internet-access product development. JPR’s Market Watch is a quarterly report focused on the market activity of PC raphics controllers for notebook and desktop computing.